How to Convert Rectangular Equations to Polar Form?

In summary, the conversation discusses eliminating parameters and obtaining the standard form of a rectangular equation, finding the arc length of a given curve on a specified interval, and converting a rectangular equation to polar form. The speaker is seeking help with their work and expresses concern over the correctness of their answers. They also mention the need for numerical approximation for one of the problems.
Punchlinegirl
If someone could check my work and make sure I'm doing these problems right, I would really appreciate it.
1.Eliminate the parameter and obtain the standard form of the rectangular equation.
Circle: [tex] x= h + r cos \theta , y= k + r sin \theta [/tex]
[tex] (x-h/r)^2 + (y-k/r)^2 = 1[/tex]
2.Find the arc length of the given curve on the indicated interval.
[tex] x=t^2 +1, y=4t^3 + 3 [/tex]
[tex] 0 \leq t \leq -1 [/tex]
[tex] S= \int \sqrt (dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 [/tex]
dx/dt= 2t, dy/dt= 12t^2
so i intregrated from -1 to 0, [tex] \int \sqrt 4t^2 +144t^2 dt [/tex]
using a u subsitution, I got [tex] 1/432(4+144t^2)^(3/2) [/tex]
Plugging in -1 and 0 gave me -4.15, which can't be right since it's talking about arclength..
3.Convert the rectangular equation to polar.
[tex] x^2 + y^2 - 2ax = 0 [/tex]
[tex] r^2 = 2ax [/tex]
[tex] r^2 / r cos \theta = 2a (r cos \theta)/ r cos \theta [/tex]
Solving for r gave me [tex] r= 2a cos \theta [/tex]
If these are wrong, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
can someone please help?

1. Your equation should be

[tex]\frac {(x-h)^2)}{r^2} + \frac {(y-k)^2}{r^2} = 1[/tex]

2. Check your inequality. I am guessing it should read [itex] 0 \leq x \leq 1[/itex].

Question 2 looks like it gives you an elliptical integral so you will have to numerically approximate it. 3. r=2*a*cos(theta) looks good.

1. What is the difference between polar and parametric equations?

Polar equations represent points on a graph in terms of a distance from the origin and an angle, while parametric equations use two independent variables to describe the coordinates of a point on a graph. In polar equations, the distance from the origin is the independent variable, while in parametric equations, both variables are independent.

2. Can polar and parametric equations be converted to rectangular equations?

Yes, polar equations can be converted to rectangular equations using the following formulas: x = r cos(theta) and y = r sin(theta). Parametric equations can also be converted to rectangular equations using substitution.

3. How are polar and parametric equations used in real life?

Polar and parametric equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe curved motion and trajectories. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in computer graphics and animation.

4. What are some common applications of polar and parametric equations?

Polar equations are commonly used to describe circular motion, such as the orbits of planets and satellites. Parametric equations are often used to model the motion of projectiles and other objects with a curved path.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar and parametric equations?

One limitation of polar and parametric equations is that they can only describe certain types of curves and shapes. They may not be suitable for describing complex or irregular shapes. Additionally, converting between different types of equations can be complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.