1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Symmetry

1. Apr 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identify the symmetries of the curve.

2. Relevant equations
    r = 8 + 7sinθ

3. The attempt at a solution
    x-axis: (r,-θ) ---> 8 + 7sin(-θ) = 8-sinθ (not equal to ) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about x-axis.
    y-axis: (-r,-θ) ---> -8+7sinθ (not equal to) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about y-axis.
    origin: (-r,θ) ---> r = -8-7sinθ (not equal to) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about origin.

looking at the graph i know it is symmetric about y-axis, though, so what am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Writing r = 8 + 7sinθ as r = f(θ), the graph will be symmetric across the y-axis if f(##\pi## - θ) = f(θ).

4. Apr 30, 2013 #3
    can you please explain how to evaluate if f(θ) = f(∏-θ) ? i always get confused with this one.

5. Apr 30, 2013 #4

Mark44

I defined f(θ) = 8 + 7 sin(θ), so f(##\pi## - θ) = 8 + 7sin(##\pi## - θ) = ?

6. Apr 30, 2013 #5
    it must equal 8 + 7sin(θ) but i'm not sure how. are you using a trig identity?

7. Apr 30, 2013 #6

Mark44

You can use an identity, or you can use the unit circle. The identity would be sin(A - B) = sin(A)cos(B) - cos(A)sin(B). Hopefully, you have this one memorized.

8. Apr 30, 2013 #7
    i realize sin(θ) = sin(∏- θ) for values on in the interval 0<θ<pi by looking at the unit circle.

9. Apr 30, 2013 #8

Mark44

And using the difference formula, you can show that it's true for all real values of θ.

10. Apr 30, 2013 #9
    so the proof using sin(A-B) would be:

sin(∏-θ) = sin(∏) cos(θ) - cos(∏)sin(θ) = sin(θ)

0 - (-1)(sinθ) = sin(θ) --> sinθ=sinθ

11. Apr 30, 2013 #10

Mark44

I wouldn't do it that way. Here's what I would do:
    sin(##\pi## - θ) = sin(##\pi##) cos(θ) - cos(##\pi##)sin(θ) = 0 * cos(θ) - (-1)sin(θ) = sin(θ)
    This shows that sin(##\pi## - θ) = sin(θ).

Do you see how what I did is different from what you did?

12. Apr 30, 2013 #11
    yes. thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted