Finding Polar Unit Vectors from Cartesian Vector - Pete

In summary, Pete is stuck on a worksheet that involves finding polar unit vectors and expressing a cartesian vector as a linear combination of these unit vectors. He has searched online but is confused by conflicting information. He is looking for clarification on the methodology for this transformation. The given vectors in question are 3x + 4y and 5x + 0y, and he is unsure how to proceed with the transformation process.
petertheta
I have a worksheet that due to missing the lecture I'm now stuck on.

You are given a cartesian vector and told find the polar unit vecors and hence express the original vector as a linear combination of the polar unit vectors just found. I've searched resources online but feel that there is conflicting information. It would be good if you could help clarify the methodology to do this transformation. I generally understand the nature of the unit vector.

So here's the question:

[tex]\vec{v} = 3\hat{x} + 4\hat{y}[/tex]

Where the x-hat etc are the cartesian unit vectors.

But what I have found through reading through online notes etc gives the polar unit vectors as:
[tex]\hat{r} = \cos{\theta}\hat{x}+\sin{\theta}\hat{y}[/tex]
[tex] \hat{\theta} = -\sin{\theta}\hat{x} + \cos{\theta}\hat{y}[/tex]

The thing is though these are still containing the cartesian unit vectors so I can't really see how a transformation has taken place.

Can you help?

Thanks - Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pete! :smile:
petertheta said:
You are given a cartesian vector and told find the polar unit vecors and hence express the original vector as a linear combination of the polar unit vectors just found.

i'm not sure i understand the question :confused:

if the origin is at O = (0,0), and if P = (3,4),

then the vector OP is (3,4), and the unit polar vectors are (3/5,4/5) and (-4/5,3/5)

so OP = 5(3/5,4/5) + 0(-4/5,3/5)

but usually you are given a vector PQ, and asked to express that as a combination of (3/5,4/5) and (-4/5,3/5) :confused:

There is another vector given but I assume this to be just another vector for which I must do the same transformation to and expressing as a linear combination of [tex]\hat{r} and \hat{\theta}[/tex] it's [tex] \vec{u} = 5\hat{x} + 0\hat{y}[/tex] so not the point PQ like you suggest.

P

my guess is that the 5x + 0y vector is to start at P :smile:

I've not seen this method before can you explicitly show me how to proceed?

In the question the vectors are the other way around so [tex] \vec{v1} = 5\hat{x} + 0\hat{y} [/tex] and [tex] \vec{v2} = 3\hat{x} + 4\hat{y} [/tex]

Thanks

good morning! :smile:

you transfer the origin from O to P,

then your second vector is expressed relative to the usual x,y axes,

and you need to express it relative to the two new axes along r and θ :wink:

I'm afraid I've not covered this before so am at a loss of even how to start this?

What is the difference between a polar unit vector and a Cartesian vector?

A polar unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is expressed in terms of an angle and a direction. A Cartesian vector, on the other hand, is expressed in terms of x, y, and z coordinates. Both represent a direction in three-dimensional space, but they use different systems to do so.

How do you convert a Cartesian vector to a polar unit vector?

To convert a Cartesian vector to a polar unit vector, you can use trigonometric functions. First, find the magnitude of the vector using the Pythagorean theorem. Then, use the arc tangent function to find the angle between the vector and the positive x-axis. Finally, use the cosine and sine functions to find the x and y components of the polar unit vector.

What is the purpose of finding polar unit vectors from Cartesian vectors?

Finding polar unit vectors from Cartesian vectors can be useful in many applications, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to represent a vector in terms of an angle and a direction, which can make it easier to perform calculations and understand the direction of the vector.

Can you find polar unit vectors for any type of vector?

Yes, polar unit vectors can be found for any type of vector, including two-dimensional and three-dimensional vectors. However, it is important to note that the angle and direction of the polar unit vector will depend on the coordinate system being used.

Are there any limitations to using polar unit vectors instead of Cartesian vectors?

While polar unit vectors can be useful in certain situations, they do have some limitations. For example, they can only represent vectors in three-dimensional space, whereas Cartesian vectors can be used in any number of dimensions. Additionally, polar unit vectors can be more challenging to work with mathematically, as they involve trigonometric functions.