1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar vector coordinates

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    i dont understand the point of [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] if a vector is completely described by [itex] \textbf{r}=r \hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex]

btw tex is doing something weird, apparently i can't make greek letters bold
    [tex]\textbf{\delta}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2
    no one of you math geniuses can answer this for me?

4. Sep 3, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't pretend to be a math genius but perhaps none of them understands your question. What do you mean by "a vector is completely described by [itex] \textbf{r}=r \hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex]". Are you talking about a specific vector? Because that certainly does not "completely describe" a general vector. If you have a vector "completely described" by [itex] \textbf{r}=r \hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex] then you don't need [itex]\theta'[/itex].

If you have formulas for both r' and [itex]\theta'[/itex], what makes you think that the vector is "completely described" by [itex] \textbf{r}=r \hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex]
    ? Perhaps it would help if you stated the precise problem.

5. Sep 3, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

[tex]\hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex] depends on [tex]\theta[/tex]... It changes according to the angle. Unless you know what [tex]\theta[/tex] is you can't draw [tex]\hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex]

6. Sep 3, 2007 #5
    does [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] describe a general vector in cartesian coordinates? if it does then i don't see any difference between the position vector in cartesian coordinates and in polar coordinates.

in fact i don't even understand the physical meaning of a linear combination of [itex]\hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex]. actually that is erroneous , i have no problem visualizing the resultant of these two vectors, i would just need to connect them head to tail. what i don't understand is what i said before, what is the point of the [itex]\hat{\theta}}[/itex]

the picture represents my understanding of the the polar coordinates in terms of the cartesian coordinates where [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] is the vector i'm trying to describe in terms of the the polar unit vectors. is it correct? and if it is correct why can't describe [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] by just scaling the [itex]\hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex] a little and making its [itex]\theta[/itex] argument little bigger?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook