1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarisation of light concept

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    I have read about polarisation... just a little ques about concept...

in case of circular polarisation there is 90 degree phase difference between the two v and h, e field component... right...

and in case of linear polarisation the e field is restricted to oscillate in only one plane... right?

I think I am right about linear polarisation... It should be cause the linear polariser allows only one component of v and h ,to pass through... so there will be either v or h component passing through...

And can u tell me of some real life examples of linear and circular polarisation
    ? I know how they work... how malus's law works... just some real life examples... like why the new mobilenphones use circular polariser...(I heard I phone /pad has it...)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2
    Polaroid sunglasses are vertically polarized because glare from the sun is horizontally polarized.
    The 3D Polaroid glasses are circularly polarized, at least the pair I have is.

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    I didn't understand your 1st example... How will we observe light then? the polaroid won't let any E component pass... so light won't too...

what does a circular polariser makes anything look like? for say,if u look at me,how will I look like?

and my concept is correct,right?

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4
    In general, sunlight has all polarizations. Light reflected from a road, for example, when you are looking into the sun, or if you are a fisherman looking at the water into the sun, much, but not all,of the reflected light is horizontally polarized. The vertically polarized sunglasses will reduce the glare more than the other light.

Circular polarized light looks the same as looking through regular sunglasses. However, when you have a pair of circular poloroid lenses, rotating them makes a difference as well as flipping them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted