Polarisation of light

Homework Statement

Okay so this is a concept that I've been having a lot of problems with recently. I watched a few youtube vids to clear things up so now I'd like to make sure my notes are right.

1) For normal polarised light, the oscillations of a wave are in one plane only which include the direction of the energy transfer.

2) Whereas for polarisation by reflection, the oscillations are also in one plane but they are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer.

Are these two statements correct?

Answers and Replies

tech99
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Okay so this is a concept that I've been having a lot of problems with recently. I watched a few youtube vids to clear things up so now I'd like to make sure my notes are right.

1) For normal polarised light, the oscillations of a wave are in one plane only which include the direction of the energy transfer.

2) Whereas for polarisation by reflection, the oscillations are also in one plane but they are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer.

Are these two statements correct?
In both cases I think you are referring to a ray diagram for reflection from a mirror. Case 1 is polarised in the plane of the paper and case 2 at right angles to the plane of the paper ie sticking up. So I think you need to clarify what you mean by "direction of energy transfer".