1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarisation of light

1. Jan 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay so this is a concept that I've been having a lot of problems with recently. I watched a few youtube vids to clear things up so now I'd like to make sure my notes are right.

1) For normal polarised light, the oscillations of a wave are in one plane only which include the direction of the energy transfer.

2) Whereas for polarisation by reflection, the oscillations are also in one plane but they are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer.

Are these two statements correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2017 #2
    In both cases I think you are referring to a ray diagram for reflection from a mirror. Case 1 is polarised in the plane of the paper and case 2 at right angles to the plane of the paper ie sticking up. So I think you need to clarify what you mean by "direction of energy transfer".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted