Can A Single Photon Be Split Into 45 and 135 Degree Polarization?

In summary, the conversation discusses instructions for creating a 45 degree polarizer and a 135 degree polarizer by cutting and joining together two polarizers. There is a question about whether these polarizers can be applicable to a single photon passing through them and what the probabilities are for V and H polarized photons passing through them. The conversation also touches on the concept of superposition and how it relates to polarizers.
StevieTNZ
Really two questions:

1. In the Do-It-Yourself Quantum Eraser article written by Rachel Hillmer and Paul Kwiat (published in Scientific American, May 2007), on page 93 there are instructions to cut in half horizontally a D-orientated (45 degrees clockwise from V), and an A-orientated (45 degrees counterclockwise from V), polariser and join them together. Are there such polarisers that are orientated as the final product of doing the above, but are applicable to a single photon passing through it (so either the photon will be 45 degrees polarised, or 135 degrees polarised)?

2. If a V polarised photon is tested in the polariser described above, because it has 1/2 probability of passing or failing the 45 degree, and 135 degree, tests, if it fails the 45 degree polariser, is it a candidate of now having probability 1 of passing the 135 degree polariser, or still 1/2 probability of passing the 135 degree polariser?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would a circularly polarised photon be in a superposition of 45 degree and 135 degree polarisation? Is there a polariser that let's through all the photons in that superposition? What would the probabilites of V and H polarised photons passing/failing that polariser be?

I guess I should read that article, because it seems to me that "putting together" 45 and 135 degree polarizers results in something that transmits no light at all. That is certainly true if the light first encounters one polarizer and then the other, but maybe there's some way to encounter both "at the same time"-- but that sounds like it would have to be like having no polarizer at all. I can't see any way to get something that transmits either 45 or 135 degree polarization, and nothing else. It would violate the superposition principle-- V polarization is an equal superposition of 45 and 135, so if 45 passes, and 135 passes, then V would have to pass also. One might imagine inducing a relative phase shift between 45 and 135, but that would only shift V into elliptical polarization, it wouldn't give only 45 or 135 and nothing else.

On that last question, circular polarization can be a superposition of 45 and 135-- if there is a pi/2 phase difference between the two polarizations. The superposition yields V if there is a 0 phase difference between them. But as far as I know, when I think of a polarizer I think of something that still invokes the principle of superposition, not some nonlinear optics device that does not support that principle. They must be talking about something more complicated than what I'm imagining.

Ken G said:
I can't see any way to get something that transmits either 45 or 135 degree polarization, and nothing else. It would violate the superposition principle-- V polarization is an equal superposition of 45 and 135, so if 45 passes, and 135 passes, then V would have to pass also.

If a photon is in V polarisation, it has 1/2 probability for passing a 45 degree test. But in saying that, it also has 1/2 probability for failing the test, and if it fails (and we could somehow deflect the photon onto another path), is it guaranteed that it'll pass a 135 degree polariser? Or will it maintain its V polarisation and have 1/2 probability of going through a 135 degree polariser?

StevieTNZ said:
1. In the Do-It-Yourself Quantum Eraser article written by Rachel Hillmer and Paul Kwiat (published in Scientific American, May 2007), on page 93 there are instructions to cut in half horizontally a D-orientated (45 degrees clockwise from V), and an A-orientated (45 degrees counterclockwise from V), polariser and join them together. Are there such polarisers that are orientated as the final product of doing the above, but are applicable to a single photon passing through it (so either the photon will be 45 degrees polarised, or 135 degrees polarised)?

2. If a V polarised photon is tested in the polariser described above, because it has 1/2 probability of passing or failing the 45 degree, and 135 degree, tests, if it fails the 45 degree polariser, is it a candidate of now having probability 1 of passing the 135 degree polariser, or still 1/2 probability of passing the 135 degree polariser?

I suppose you mean this article: Do-It-Yourself Quantum Eraser

1. In order to have a 45° polarizer just take your polarizer sheet and rotate it provided you know its axis. Do the same for -45°=135°. Bring them close together and attach the wire between them. On a side note that angle is not important. It is only important that the left and right polarizer are oriented orthogonal to each other (see here). When you shine your laser on the wire a single photon will pass both sides and is in a superposition of -45° and +45° polarization.

2. The V polarized photon will be in a superposition of both 45° and 135° polarization (see above).

StevieTNZ said:
If a photon is in V polarisation, it has 1/2 probability for passing a 45 degree test. But in saying that, it also has 1/2 probability for failing the test, and if it fails (and we could somehow deflect the photon onto another path), is it guaranteed that it'll pass a 135 degree polariser?
Yes, such a "test" will normally establish the polarization to be 135. It might depend on how you do it, but that would be the standard expectation AFAIK.
Or will it maintain its V polarisation and have 1/2 probability of going through a 135 degree polariser?
If the photon polarization is determined to be linear along 135, then it is no longer V. Note also that V is always a superposition of 45 and 135, you don't need to do anything to it to get that.

Edgardo said:
I suppose you mean this article: Do-It-Yourself Quantum Eraser

1. In order to have a 45° polarizer just take your polarizer sheet and rotate it provided you know its axis. Do the same for -45°=135°. Bring them close together and attach the wire between them. On a side note that angle is not important. It is only important that the left and right polarizer are oriented orthogonal to each other (see here). When you shine your laser on the wire a single photon will pass both sides and is in a superposition of -45° and +45° polarization.

2. The V polarized photon will be in a superposition of both 45° and 135° polarization (see above).

After thinking about it again I think my answer is wrong: Behind the double slit with polarization sheets the photon is not in a superposition of -45° and +45°. Rather it has collapsed to -45° or +45°.
(Though I am not sure, sorry! :redface:)

Last edited:

What is a polariser?

A polariser is an optical device that filters out light waves that are oscillating in a particular direction, allowing only light waves oscillating in a specific direction to pass through. It is commonly used in photography, physics experiments, and sunglasses.

How does a polariser work?

A polariser works by blocking light waves that are oscillating in a particular direction through a process called polarization. It consists of a material with long-chain molecules that can absorb and reflect light waves in a specific direction.

What is the difference between a linear polariser and a circular polariser?

A linear polariser only allows light waves oscillating in one direction to pass through, while a circular polariser allows light waves oscillating in both directions to pass through, but with a phase shift, creating circularly polarised light.

What is the relationship between polarisers and probabilities?

When light passes through a polariser, the probability of a particular light wave oscillating in a specific direction to pass through depends on the orientation of the polariser and the angle of incidence of the light. This relationship can be mathematically described using Malus' Law.

What are some applications of polarisers in scientific research?

Polarisers are used in various scientific experiments, such as studying the optical properties of materials, measuring the polarization of light, and analyzing the structure of molecules. They are also used in technologies such as LCD screens, 3D glasses, and optical filters.