1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarising ability

1. Aug 4, 2006 #1
    For cations of the same size and charge, the one with electronic configuration (n-1)d^n ns^o, typical of transition metals, is more polarising than the one with a noble gas configuration, ns^2 np^6, typical of alkali and alkaline earth metal cations.
    Can someone please explain why this is so?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It follows from an understanding of the term 'polarizing power' or 'polarizing ability'. What does this term mean?

PS: Note that, by our guidelines, we can not help with standard textbook type questions unless you first show some of your thoughts/effort.
  4. Aug 11, 2006 #3
    No, my doubt is regarding what is trying to be said in the above lines. Does it mean that an element having a pseudo noble gas configuration is more polarising than a one with a noble gas configuration?? I think 'n' was not meant to take the same value in both the electronic configurations. The atomic radius of Na+1ion is 0.95 A and that of Cu+1 is also the same. I think what was meant is the book is, for two ions of the same size and charge, one with a pseudo noble gas configuration will be more polarising than the cation with a noble gas configuration. So I suppose, CuCl is more covalent than NaCl.

by the way, can you please explain what polarising ability is? I thought the shared pair of electrons in a molecule would always be attracted more to the anion as they are usually more electronegative. Please explain.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?