1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarising sound

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    How can we restrict sound to only one direction? I have a sound receiver underwater. I want sound from only a particular(North) direction to be received by my receiver. At the same time I want sound from other(South) direction to be received by another receiver. How can I restrict sound with a shield that is very directional?

Thanks in advance.
    Willy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sound is a longitudinal wave, there really isn't a way for you to polarize it. If the sound is coming from different directions then you could just use a highly directional receiver. This would allow you to discern what sound you are picking up by the direction that your receiver is pointing in.

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That assumes, of course, that the sound really is coming from different directions. High frequency sounds are somewhat directional, but low frequency sounds are basically omnidirectional. That's why your surround sound system only uses tweeters for the surround sound and has only one subwoofer providing all the bass.

5. Jul 24, 2010 #4
    The OP is confusing polarization with collimation.

To form a beam you want a horn or a phased array for a really tight beam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook