Polarity of Wire: North/South Poles?

In summary, the magnetic field has two poles, north and south, which are determined by the direction of the current. The poles can be found by cutting the wire along its diameter.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

There is a straight current carrying wire. A magnetic field is produced round the wire. Will north pole and south pole be developed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where would they be? All magnetic flux lines are closed. What do N and S poles really mean? Questions to ponder.

Dick said:
Where would they be? All magnetic flux lines are closed. What do N and S poles really mean? Questions to ponder.

I think they would be on the opposite sides of the wire. I mean if we cut the cylindrical wire(small diameter) along its diameter, we would get two separate parts of equal length which were north pole and south pole previously. Am I right?

I don't know what north poles and south poles exactly mean.

You talk about poles where the magnetic field has the form of a dipole, like a solenoid or a bar magnet (like the Earth's magnetic field). If you put a compass on the Earth it points towards one pole and away from the other. I get your point about cutting along diameters, but if you follow a compass located near the wire, it will just lead you in circles around the wire, not to any definite region. That's my interpretation anyway.

Dick said:
You talk about poles where the magnetic field has the form of a dipole, like a solenoid or a bar magnet (like the Earth's magnetic field). If you put a compass on the Earth it points towards one pole and away from the other. I get your point about cutting along diameters, but if you follow a compass located near the wire, it will just lead you in circles around the wire, not to any definite region. That's my interpretation anyway.

Well, I seem to understand your point. You might mean to say that in this case magnetic field exists without any poles at all. But really are you sure that what I said is wrong?? Think of a bar magnet and solenoid. Magnetic field lines are continuos inside the solenoid and I think I am not wrong if I say that it is true for a bar magnt too. What do you think?

All magnetic field lines are continuous. There is really no exact definition of a 'magnetic pole' that I know of. And I think you can only even vaguely define them if the field has a dipole configuration. A dipole is generated by a circulating current. A current flowing a straight wire doesn't circulate. Hence no dipole. That's what I would say. How does your book or instructor define 'magnetic pole'? If you don't have a definition of the word it's hard to decide. But as for the diameter, you can cut along ANY diameter and get the same field picture, right? So where were the poles before you cut?

Well, i really have no idea. it seems complicated...

1. What is the significance of polarity in a wire?

The polarity of a wire refers to the direction of the magnetic field produced by electric current flowing through the wire. It is important because it determines how the wire will interact with other magnetic fields and objects.

2. How do you determine the polarity of a wire?

The polarity of a wire can be determined using a compass. If the north pole of the compass needle is attracted to the wire, the wire is oriented in a north-to-south direction, indicating that the current flowing through the wire is moving from south to north.

3. Can the polarity of a wire be reversed?

Yes, the polarity of a wire can be reversed by changing the direction of the electric current flowing through it. This can be achieved by switching the positive and negative terminals of a battery or by changing the direction of the alternating current in an AC circuit.

4. How does polarity affect the strength of a wire's magnetic field?

The strength of a wire's magnetic field is directly affected by its polarity. When the current flowing through the wire is reversed, the strength of the magnetic field will also be reversed. Additionally, the closer the wire is to an object, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

5. Can two wires with opposite polarities attract or repel each other?

Yes, two wires with opposite polarities can attract or repel each other depending on their orientation. If the north pole of one wire is facing the south pole of the other wire, they will attract each other. However, if the north pole of one wire is facing the north pole of the other wire, they will repel each other.