1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarization and Azimuthal Angle

1. Sep 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the state of polarization of the following wave and its azimuthal angle:

##E= \sqrt{3} E_0 \cos(kz-\omega t) \hat{x} + E_0 \cos(kz- \omega t + \pi) \hat{y}##

3. The attempt at a solution

How do I calculate the azimuthal angle? :confused:

My textbook only says: "the azimuthal angle is defined as the angle between the plane of vibration and the plane of incidence". Since no diagrams are provided I'm not sure if I understand it correctly... Is this the angle it makes with the x-axis if it is linearly polarized (or if elliptically polarized, the angle of the major axis with respect to the x-axis)?

I think the state of polarization is linearly polarized since Ey lags Ex by π, right? Also the Ex has a greater amplitude than Ey by a factor of √3.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    It doesn't give the definition of the "azimuthal angle". I believe it's the angle θ I've marked in the attached diagram. How can it be calculated?

Attached Files:

5. Sep 24, 2013 #4
    How do I calculate azimuthal angle for this wave? :confused:

I know it's not 45° because ##E_x \neq E_y##. Is it valid to use trig like this:

##\tan \theta = \frac{E_y}{E_x} = \frac{E_0}{\sqrt{3} E_0} \implies \theta = 30°##

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted