1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarization and Malus's Law

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1
    Hi there all,
    I am a little confused about polarization. If I have a laser beam incident on a single polariser, if I adjust the angle of the polarizers transmission axis so that it is aligned with the plane of polarization of the incident laser beam does it intensity remain unchanged, or does it lose 50% of its intensity due to Malus's Law?. Also can a polarizer change the polarisation state of the incident beam or will the transmitted beam always be linearly polarised?.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2014 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, welcome to PF.

If the laser beam is linearly polarized, and it's an ideal polarizer, then 100% of the beam is transmitted when the laser polarization is aligned with the polarizer -- in accordance with Malus's Law:

[tex]\frac{I}{I_{inc}}= \cos^2 \theta \text{, with } \theta=0[/tex]

If the laser beam is circularly polarized or randomly polarized, then 50% is transmitted.

The transmitted beam will remain linearly polarized, but change in orientation, as the polarizer is rotated.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook