Finding the Solution: Solving for x in a Polarization of Light Equation

In summary, the equation states that the intensity of light after going through 36 filters is still above 1/9 of the original intensity.
johnsobertstamos
Homework Statement
A series of polarizers are each placed at a 12 ∘ interval from the previous polarizer. Unpolarized light is incident on this series of polarizers. How many polarizers does the light have to go through before it is 1/9 of its original intensity?
Relevant Equations
I = Io (cos theta)^2
Iintensity polarized = 1/2 Intensity unpolarized
I set up the equation

.5((cos 12)^2)^x = 1/9

Solving for x gets me 34.037

34 + 1 = 35

I've entered answers of both 34 and 35 and both have been marked as wrong. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.
johnsobertstamos said:
How many polarizers does the light have to go through before it is 19 of its original intensity?
19 what of its original intensity? 19%?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

19 what of its original intensity? 19%?
Sorry, should be 1/9

berkeman said:
Ah, okay thanks.

Do both of those equations apply to the first and all subsequent polarization stages?
The bottom one applies to just the first, reducing the intensity by half. The top one applies to the rest of the polarization stages.

johnsobertstamos said:
.5((cos 12)^2)^x = 1/9

Solving for x gets me 34.037

34 + 1 = 35
I get a different value of x for the solution of that equation, where x is the number of polarizers after the first one. Could you show your work so we can check it please? Thanks. :smile:

[tex]I(x) = \frac{1}{2} [cos^2(12)]^x[/tex]

johnsobertstamos said:
The bottom one applies to just the first, reducing the intensity by half. The top one applies to the rest of the polarization stages.
Yes, sorry, I deleted my post after I made it because I realized that you had already factored that in. Please check out the reply that I just made. Thanks.

"How many polarizers does the light have to go through before it is 1/9 of its original intensity?"

Is that the exact phrasing of the original problem statement? Perhaps it says something equivalent to "less than 1/9 of the original intensity"? In that case the ".037" in the resulting calculation might play a role... Just a thought.

Likes berkeman
gneill said:
"How many polarizers does the light have to go through before it is 1/9 of its original intensity?"

Is that the exact phrasing of the original problem statement? Perhaps it says something equivalent to "less than 1/9 of the original intensity"? In that case the ".037" in the resulting calculation might play a role... Just a thought.
That's the phrasing given in the problem. I also forgot to mention it asks for the answer in the form of an integer.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
I get a different value of x for the solution of that equation, where x is the number of polarizers after the first one. Could you show your work so we can check it please? Thanks. :smile:

[tex]I(x) = \frac{1}{2} [cos^2(12)]^x[/tex]
1) .5((cos 12)^2)^x = 1/9

2) ((cos 12)^2)^x = 2/9

3) x ln((cos 12)^2) = ln (2/9)

4) x = (ln (2/9)) / ln((cos 12)^2)

5) x = 34.037

Still at a complete loss for what I'm doing wrong here. My math checks out every time.

johnsobertstamos said:
2) ((cos 12)^2)^x = 2/9

3) x ln((cos 12)^2) = ln (2/9)
I think you should be using log(), not ln()... :smile:

berkeman said:
I think you should be using log(), not ln()... :smile:
It gets me the same answer of 34.037 Any differences in the equations we have set up?

I'm inputting

x = log(2/9) / log((cos 12)^2)

x = 34.037

Hmm, I found an error by a factor of 2 just now in my previous calculation, and now I get the same as you: 1+34=35. Can you check with a TA or the instructor?

gneill said:
".037" in the resulting calculation might play a role... Just a thought.
Right. With 35 filters I get that the resulting intensity is still a wee bit above 1/9 the initial intensity.

Likes berkeman
TSny said:
Right. With 35 filters I get that the resulting intensity is still a wee bit above 1/9 the initial intensity.
Ah so maybe it's 36 then

That seems like the most likely option at this point. Can you check it?

berkeman said:
That seems like the most likely option at this point. Can you check it?
Yep 36, thank you everybody for your help. Much appreciated!

Likes gneill

1. What is polarization of light?

Polarization of light refers to the orientation of the electric field oscillations of a light wave. It describes the direction in which the light waves are vibrating as they travel through space.

2. How does polarization of light occur?

Polarization of light occurs when a light wave passes through a polarizing filter or material, which only allows light waves with a specific orientation of electric field to pass through. This results in the light becoming polarized in a particular direction.

3. What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization refers to light waves with electric fields that vibrate in a single plane, while circular polarization refers to light waves with electric fields that rotate in a circular motion. Linear polarization can be achieved through a polarizing filter, while circular polarization can be created by passing light through a quarter-wave plate or using certain types of crystals.

4. How is polarization of light used in everyday life?

Polarization of light has many practical applications, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in photography to enhance contrast and color, and in LCD screens to control the amount of light passing through. It is also used in scientific research to study the properties of materials and in communication technology for satellite transmissions.

5. Can light be unpolarized?

Yes, light can be unpolarized, meaning it contains a mixture of different orientations of electric fields. Natural light from the sun or a light bulb is typically unpolarized, but it can be polarized through various methods. However, some light sources, such as lasers, produce highly polarized light.