Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarization of plane wave

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    Hello everybody :)
    I'm doing some electromagnetic exercises, but I got stuck in calculating the polarization of a plane wave.
    The complex field associated to the wave is the following
    [itex]\vec{E} = (\sqrt{2}\hat{x}+\hat{y}-\hat{z})e^{-2\pi 10^6(y+z)} = \hat{p}e^{-2\pi 10^6(y+z)}[/itex]
    It is easy to calculate that the direction of propagation is
    [itex]\hat{k}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{y}+\hat{z})[/itex]
    but now I want to calculate if the wave is polarized and how.

If the propagation direction was along one of the axis was pretty easy, I just need to look at the components in front of the exponential. But now that I can't how can I do it?

My idea was to make a change of the basis, from [itex]\{\hat{x},\hat{y},\hat{z}\}[/itex] to [itex]\{\hat{u},\hat{v},\hat{w}\}[/itex] where
    [itex]\hat{u} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{x}+\hat{z}) ,\quad \hat{v} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{x}+\hat{y}) ,\quad \hat{w} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{y}+\hat{z})[/itex]
    Then rewrite [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] in this base, which became (I don't consider the square root factor, it doesn't change the result since I'm just looking how the components are related to each other)
    [itex]\sqrt{2}\hat{x}+\hat{y}-\hat{z} = a\hat{u} + b\hat{v} + c\hat{w}= a (\hat{x}+\hat{z}) + b(\hat{x}+\hat{y}) + c(\hat{y}+\hat{z})[/itex]

Which gives me values for all a,b and c. And that's strange (c should be zero since is a plane wave so there shouldn't be anything along this direction).

So... What's my mistake? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The wave is polarized - I don't understand what you mean by "how" it is polarized: the polarization direction is quite clear from the vector that precedes the exponent.

The polarization is indeed orthogonal to the propagation direction as required (easily checked by taking the dot-product). If you want to rotate p so that the propagation direction lies along a principal axis, you can always employ a coordinate rotation (which is more intuitive than employing a transformation to a non-orthogonal basis set IMO).

Claude.

4. Oct 25, 2013 #3
    [itex]\{\hat{u},\hat{v},\hat{w}\}[/itex] are not perpendicular to each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook