How Thick is the Ethyl Alcohol Film for Yellow Light Reflection?

• Thread starter BobbyBobbyBob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polarization
In summary, the conversation discusses a thin film of ethyl alcohol with an index of refraction of 1.36 being illuminated with white light and viewed from above, resulting in a colored pattern in reflection. The question asks for the thickness of the film in a certain region where only yellow light with a wavelength of 560nm is reflected. The problem involves thin film interference, where the index of refraction of the glass is assumed to be greater than 1.36. To find the thickness, one must apply the formula for destructive interference and determine the plane of the film where a phase change of 0.5 times the wavelength occurs due to the difference in refraction indices between the media.
BobbyBobbyBob
A thine file of ethyl alcohol (n=1.36) is spread on a flat glass plate and illuminated with white light. When illuminated and viewd from directly above, it shows a coloured pattern in reflection. If the only visible light reflected by a certain region of the film is yellow (lambda=560nm), how thick is the film there? Justify (assume visible spectrum is 400-7800nm)

:bugeye:

I have no idea where/how to start and what it involves.

I have a feeling it invovles Huygen's Principle and Polarization by Reflection.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobbyBobbyBob said:
A thine file of ethyl alcohol (n=1.36) is spread on a flat glass plate and illuminated with white light. When illuminated and viewd from directly above, it shows a coloured pattern in reflection. If the only visible light reflected by a certain region of the film is yellow (lambda=560nm), how thick is the film there? Justify (assume visible spectrum is 400-7800nm)

I think this is about thin film interference. There are two surfaces that are reflecting light: the air/alcohol surface and the alcohol glass surface. I think you are supposed to assume that the index of refraction (n) of the glass is greater than 1.36.

AM

BobbyBobbyBob said:

This is a thin film interference problem. The index of refraction of glass will indeed exceed the 1.36 value.

If you look at the theory behind this thin film interference. I assume you know the formula's that express the destructive and constructive interference. Generally, you just apply these formula's to the reflected beams on one specific side of the film.

The clue is, however, that you need to know the relative magnitude of the refraction indices of the media that are separated by the film. Mostly there are three media (one on the left, one inside the film and one on the right). If a wave reflects on a medium of which the refraction index is BIGGER then that of the medium in which the wave is propagating, there will be a phase change of 0.5 times the wavelength. One can prove this, using the Fresnel relations.

You will need to determine at which plane of the film, this phase change will arise. If it arises at only one of the two planes then the reflected waves will have a phase difference of 0.5 times the wavelength wtr to each other. The formula for destructive interference now expresses the actual constructive interference because of this relative phase change.

regards
marlon

1. What is polarization?

Polarization is the phenomenon in which light waves, electromagnetic waves, or other types of waves oscillate in specific directions. This means that the waves are aligned in a single plane, rather than in random directions.

2. How does polarization occur?

Polarization occurs when light waves interact with certain materials, such as polarizing filters or crystals. These materials have microscopic structures that only allow light waves to pass through in a specific direction, resulting in the waves becoming polarized.

3. What are the applications of polarization?

Polarization has various applications in science and technology, such as in photography, 3D movies, and LCD screens. It is also used in communication systems, such as satellite transmissions and fiber optic cables.

4. Can polarization be observed in everyday life?

Yes, polarization can be observed in everyday life. For example, when wearing polarized sunglasses, you can see a reduction in glare from light reflecting off of surfaces such as water or glass. You can also see polarization when looking at certain types of plastic or LCD screens.

5. How is polarization measured?

Polarization is measured using a device called a polarimeter. This instrument measures the intensity of light waves in different orientations and can determine the degree of polarization. Other methods, such as using a polarizing filter or analyzing the behavior of light waves, can also be used to measure polarization.