1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarization question

1. Mar 22, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone. I wanted to make sure I did this problem correctly. The problem is this:
    A light with an intensity of 75 W/m^2 is shone through three polarized lenses. The first lens is tilted at a 37 degree angle, the second is at a 10 degree angle and the final lens is titled by 82 degrees. Find the final intensity of the light.

So this is my work:

75 W/m^2 X 1/2 (half of the light is filtered through the first lens) X cos^2(37-10) X cos^2(82-10) = 2.84 W/m^2

Is this the proper way to do this problem? This is the way our example from class was calculated, but I was a little bit hazy on the details, so I wanted to make sure that I did the work right. Thank you all.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes. I didn't check your arithmetic, but your method is correct.
  4. Mar 23, 2004 #3
    Thank you very much. I've been away from this stuff for so long that it makes me question my methods at times.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?