Calculating Light Intensity through Polarized Lenses | Polarization Question

In summary, the problem involves finding the final intensity of light after it passes through three polarized lenses at different angles. The formula used is 75 W/m^2 X 1/2 X cos^2(37-10) X cos^2(82-10) which results in a final intensity of 2.84 W/m^2. The method used is correct according to the example from class.
KingJaymz
Hello everyone. I wanted to make sure I did this problem correctly. The problem is this:
A light with an intensity of 75 W/m^2 is shone through three polarized lenses. The first lens is tilted at a 37 degree angle, the second is at a 10 degree angle and the final lens is titled by 82 degrees. Find the final intensity of the light.

So this is my work:

75 W/m^2 X 1/2 (half of the light is filtered through the first lens) X cos^2(37-10) X cos^2(82-10) = 2.84 W/m^2

Is this the proper way to do this problem? This is the way our example from class was calculated, but I was a little bit hazy on the details, so I wanted to make sure that I did the work right. Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by KingJaymz
Is this the proper way to do this problem?
Yes. I didn't check your arithmetic, but your method is correct.

Thank you very much. I've been away from this stuff for so long that it makes me question my methods at times.

What is polarization?

Polarization is a physical phenomenon in which light waves, or other types of waves, oscillate in a single plane instead of in all directions.

How does polarization occur?

Polarization occurs when a transverse wave, such as an electromagnetic wave, interacts with a medium that causes the wave to oscillate in a single plane.

Why is polarization important?

Polarization has many important applications, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in 3D technology, and in communication systems.

What are the different types of polarization?

There are three main types of polarization: linear, circular, and elliptical. Linear polarization occurs when the wave oscillates in a single direction, while circular and elliptical polarization occur when the wave follows a circular or elliptical path, respectively.

How is polarization used in everyday life?

Polarization is used in a variety of everyday objects and technologies, including LCD screens, polarized sunglasses, and 3D glasses. It is also used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in microscopy and material analysis.