Calculating Polarization Intensity: Theta Values of 45 and 25 Degrees Explained

In summary: Now, do you understand why it is 65 degrees?In summary, three polarizing sheets with crossed transmission axes are used to filter unpolarized light of intensity I0. The intensity of the light transmitted through all three sheets is given by I(transmitted)=I(incident)*(cos(theta))^2, where theta is the angle between the transmission axis of the third sheet and the first sheet. For theta = 45 degrees, the intensity is 0.125 * I0. However, for theta = 25 degrees, the correct angle to use is 65 degrees (not 90 degrees), resulting in an intensity of 0.169 * I0.
lozah

Homework Statement

Two polarizing sheets have their transmission axes crossed so that no light gets through. A third sheet is inserted between the first two such that its transmission axis makes an angle θ with that of the first sheet. Unpolarized light of intensity I0 is incident on the first sheet. Find the intensity of the light transmitted through all three sheets for the following values of θ.

The two values of theta are 45 and 25 degrees.

Homework Equations

I(transmitted)=I(incident)*(cos(theta))^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got all of the answers right for theta = 45 degrees. Through the first polarizer, it was 0.5, then 0.25, then 0.125, but I can't seem to get the answer right for theta = 25 when it's gone through all of the polarizers.

The first two I got like this:
I1 = I0 * 0.5
I2 = (I0*0.5)(cos25)^2 = 0.411 * I0
I3 = (I0*0.411)(cos25)^2 = 0.337 * I0

But my answer for I3 is wrong. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lozah said:
I1 = I0 * 0.5
I2 = (I0*0.5)(cos25)^2 = 0.411 * I0
I3 = (I0*0.411)(cos25)^2 = 0.337 * I0

But my answer for I3 is wrong. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

The 25 degrees for I3 is not correct. Can you see why?

TSny said:
The 25 degrees for I3 is not correct. Can you see why?
Yup I just got it right before I got the notification that you replied! It should be 65 degrees because that is the change in angle from 25 degrees to 90 degrees (in order to accommodate the fact that the outer two polarizers have their transmission axes crossed). THANKS!

OK, Good!

What is polarization?

Polarization is the phenomenon in which light waves vibrate in a specific direction. This is caused by the alignment of the electric field of the light waves.

How does polarization occur?

Polarization occurs when light waves are reflected, scattered, or transmitted through certain materials. The electric field of the light waves becomes aligned in a specific direction, resulting in polarization.

What are the types of polarization?

The three main types of polarization are linear, circular, and elliptical. Linear polarization occurs when the light waves vibrate in a single plane. Circular polarization occurs when the electric field rotates in a circular motion. Elliptical polarization occurs when the electric field moves in an elliptical path.

Why is polarization important?

Polarization has many practical applications, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in photography to enhance image contrast, and in 3D glasses to create the illusion of depth. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices, such as LCD screens.

How is polarization measured?

Polarization is measured using a polarimeter, which is a device that measures the angle and intensity of polarized light. The results are usually represented in a polar plot, with the degree of polarization on the y-axis and the angle of polarization on the x-axis.