1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarization tanB = N1/N2

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    Two sheets of polaroid are oriented so that there is a maximum transmission of light. One sheet is now rotated by 30 degrees, by what factor does the light intensity drop?

OK, the only equation I could think to use is tanB = N1/N2 but it doesn't seem to work.

the answer is 0.75 I just can't seem to get there.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2
    Define the terms in this equation: what exactly are B, N1, N2, and how do they relate to the problem you've quoted?

4. May 9, 2008 #3
    Got it!!

I feel silly! I realise equation I was trying to use was wrong. I solved it using Malus' Law

intensity after = Intensity before*cos^30

Thanks for the quick reply tho.

5. May 9, 2008 #4
    Malus' Law is spot on. The intensity is greatest when angle=0deg, zero when angle=90 deg. The cos(angle) function fits the bill, especially as the situation is a rotation.

6. May 10, 2008 #5
    Sorry, in the above post I should have said amplitude not intensity.
    In the above did you mean [tex]I = I_0 \sin 30^o[/tex] or [tex]I = I_0 \sin^2 30^o[/tex] ?

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  7. May 11, 2008 #6
    [tex]
    I = I_0 \cos^2 30^o
    [/tex]

From Cutnell, Physics

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  8. May 11, 2008 #7

[itex]E=E_0 cos(30)[/itex] where [itex]E[/itex] is the field in Volts/m.

Power (intensity) is proportional to [itex]E^2[/itex], which in turn is proportional to [itex]I^2[/itex] (current squared).

[tex]\frac{I}{I_0}=\frac{E^2}{E_0^2}=\frac{(E_0 cos(30))^2}{E_0^2}=cos^2(30)=0.75[/tex]

[n.b. "I" for intensity is not current - I hope that isn't too confusing]

Regards,

Bill

Last edited: May 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?