Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Polarization tanB = N1/N2

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    Two sheets of polaroid are oriented so that there is a maximum transmission of light. One sheet is now rotated by 30 degrees, by what factor does the light intensity drop?

OK, the only equation I could think to use is tanB = N1/N2 but it doesn't seem to work.

the answer is 0.75 I just can't seem to get there.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2
    Define the terms in this equation: what exactly are B, N1, N2, and how do they relate to the problem you've quoted?

4. May 9, 2008 #3
    Got it!!

I feel silly! I realise equation I was trying to use was wrong. I solved it using Malus' Law

intensity after = Intensity before*cos^30

Thanks for the quick reply tho.

5. May 9, 2008 #4
    Malus' Law is spot on. The intensity is greatest when angle=0deg, zero when angle=90 deg. The cos(angle) function fits the bill, especially as the situation is a rotation.

6. May 10, 2008 #5
    Sorry, in the above post I should have said amplitude not intensity.
    In the above did you mean [tex]I = I_0 \sin 30^o[/tex] or [tex]I = I_0 \sin^2 30^o[/tex] ?

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  7. May 11, 2008 #6
    [tex]
    I = I_0 \cos^2 30^o
    [/tex]

From Cutnell, Physics

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  8. May 11, 2008 #7

[itex]E=E_0 cos(30)[/itex] where [itex]E[/itex] is the field in Volts/m.

Power (intensity) is proportional to [itex]E^2[/itex], which in turn is proportional to [itex]I^2[/itex] (current squared).

[tex]\frac{I}{I_0}=\frac{E^2}{E_0^2}=\frac{(E_0 cos(30))^2}{E_0^2}=cos^2(30)=0.75[/tex]

[n.b. "I" for intensity is not current - I hope that isn't too confusing]

Regards,

Bill

Last edited: May 11, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook