1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarization with three polarizers? Please help!

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A helium-neon laser emits a beam of unpolarized light thatpasses through three Polaroid filters, as shown in the figure . The intensity of the laser beam is I[itex]_{o}[/itex].
    Walker.25.72.jpg

Suppose the third filter were at an angle of 50˚, what would be the intensity at point C?

2. Relevant equations
    I = Io cos^2(x)

I = Io/2 (Unpolarized light through transmission axis)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried a bunch of things....

First I calculated the intensity at point B, which I found to be .375 Io via (1/2)Io*cos^2(30˚)

Then I tried .375Io*cos^2(50˚)

and also tried replacing .375 with .375/2 and just 1/2

But I can't get my teacher's answer, which is .331 Io

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So far so good! :approve:
    But the light just passed through polarizer 2 which was configured at 30o. That means not only the light is already polarized, but the light already has a polarization angle of 30o before it even gets to polarizer 3 (the one configured at 50o).

So what's the angular difference between polarizer 3's angle and the polarization angle of the light at B?
    Now you're just randomly guessing. :grumpy:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook