Polarized Light - basic stuff

In summary, the question discusses a scenario where three polarizing sheets are stacked, with the first and third being crossed and the middle one at an angle of 31 degrees to the other two. The goal is to find the fraction of intensity of an originally unpolarized beam that is transmitted by the stack. Using the equations I = 1/2I_0 and I = I_0 cos^2 theta, it is determined that the angle between the second and third filter is 59 degrees and the resulting fraction is 1/2 cos^2(31) cos^2(59). However, there may be some confusion around the angle mentioned in the question.
FrogPad
I don't understand this question I guess, because I am not getting the right answer (the internet-site is not accepting it).

Question)
Three polarizing sheets are stacked. The first and third are crossed; the one between has its polarizing direction at 31.0(deg) to the polarizing direction of the other two. What fraction of the intensity of an originally unpolarized beam is transmitted by the stack?

My Work)
First the equations that will be used:
[tex] I = \frac{1}{2}I_0 [/tex]
[tex] I=I_0 \cos^2 \theta [/tex]

So unpolarized light comes in through the first filter.
Lets label the light coming out as [itex] I_1 [/itex]

[tex] I_1 = \frac{1}{2}I_0 [/tex]

Next [itex] I_1 [/itex] is polarized and travels through filter two. This filter is at an angle of 31(deg) to filter one. Thus,

[tex] I_2 = I_1 \cos^2 (31) [/tex]

Next [itex] I_2 [/itex] is polarized and travels trhough filter three. This filter is at an angle of ?. I think this is where I'm making the mistake. So the question says that filter two has an angle of 31 degrees to filter-one and filter-two. I'll just call this angle [itex] \alpha [/itex] for now, since everything I've tried is not working :(

So,
[tex] I_3 = I_2 \cos^2 \alpha [/tex]

Now combining the equations yields:
[tex] I_3 = \frac{1}{2}I_0 \cos^2(31) \cos^2(\alpha) [/tex]

Now it wants a fraction so,
[tex] fra=\frac{I_3}{I_0}=\frac{1}{2} \cos^2(31) \cos^2(\alpha) [/tex]

Am I doing this correctly? What about that pesky angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the question says, "The first and third are crossed"

that means when the polarizing direction of filter-one is orthogonal to filter-two.

I just thought they couldn't be parallel. :(

grr... that was annoying.

so the angle turned out to be [itex] \alpha = 59 [/itex] (deg)

Yes, you are on the right track. The pesky angle can be solved using the law of cosines. Since the angles of the filters are known, you can use the law of cosines to find the third angle, which is the angle between filter two and three. Once you have this angle, you can plug it into your equation for I3 and solve for the fraction of intensity transmitted by the stack.

1. What is polarized light?

Polarized light is a type of light that has its electric field oscillating in a specific direction. This direction is perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the light wave. This causes the light to vibrate in a single plane, rather than in all directions like regular light.

2. How is polarized light created?

Polarized light can be created through a process called polarization. This involves passing unpolarized light through a polarizing filter, which only allows light waves oscillating in a certain direction to pass through. The resulting light will be polarized.

3. What are some examples of polarized light?

Some common examples of polarized light include reflections on water, glare from car windshields, and light passing through polarized sunglasses. Polarized light is also commonly used in photography and 3D movies.

4. How is polarized light used in science?

Polarized light has many applications in science, including in microscopy, spectroscopy, and material analysis. It is also used in technology such as LCD displays and polarizing filters for cameras. In addition, polarized light is used in experiments to study the properties of light and to understand its behavior in different materials.

5. Can polarized light be harmful?

No, polarized light is not harmful to humans. It is a natural phenomenon and is commonly found in our everyday environment. However, some animals, such as birds and bees, use polarized light for navigation and may be affected by artificial sources of polarized light, such as glass surfaces or plastic objects.