How Is Polarized Light Propagation Determined from Electric and Magnetic Fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and polarization of a propagating electromagnetic wave, as well as calculating its intensity and wavelength. There is some uncertainty and confusion about the direction of the magnetic field, but it is eventually determined to be in the x-direction. The electric field direction is then determined using Maxwell's equations. The conversation also mentions using the intensity to calculate the amplitude of the electric field, and determining the wavelength using the frequency and speed of light.
NZBRU
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
I am having problems completing the following questions:

mFL0rMZ.png

a) The answer is apparently in the -y direction (I understand that the direction of propagation is the cross product of the electric and magnetic field that must be perpendicular to each other). I am not sure how to come to this conclusion.

I am not exactly sure what direction the magnetic component is. It is denoted Bx and is in the general form of a sinusoidal wave [A sin (wt+phi)] meaning that the phase shift must be ky, where k = 2pi/λ (so k is the 'wave-number') and y is the current direction along the y-axis. The angular frequency is simply equal to 2*10^15s and the peak amplitude is 4uT.

I would assume seeing as it is denoted as Bx the magnetic field will be in the positive x direction. As it is dependent on the y-position can it be stated that the electric field is in the y direction? I am not sure how the conclusion was drawn that it is propagating in the -y direction ie B cross E is = -y

b) Seeing as it is known that B is along the x-axis and the wave is propagating along the negative y-axis it must be polarized along the z axis (as x cross z = -y which makes sense)

c) Using
img1283.png

where Eo and Bo are the peak amplitudes of the electric and magnetic oscillatory fields the intensity can be found.

Bo is known to be 4uT. Uo is known (constant) to be 4pi*10^-7 (vacuum permeability) and c is known so S can be calculated to be:

592.176 W/m^2

d) General form of E

E = Eo sin (kx + wt)

Assume that the angular frequency should be equal so that wt = 2*10^-15t. The angular wave number, k, is equal to 2pi/λ. I would assume it is equal in magnitude to the magnetic field but in the x direction.

so E = Eo sin (kx + 2*10^15t)

Not sure how Eo is determined, maybe Maxwell's equations?

e) For light, f = 2*10^15/2pi, v = c so

λ = c/f = 94.247 um

f) Infared, using:

qa_emchart.gif

That is my attempt, I am not 100% certain on many of the questions. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question?

NZBRU said:
a) The answer is apparently in the -y direction
Sit at y = 0, t=0 so that ##B_x = 0## and take a time step ##\Delta t##. Where do you have to go to be at the point where ##B_x = 0## again ?
(I understand that the direction of propagation is the cross product of the electric and magnetic field that must be perpendicular to each other). I am not sure how to come to this conclusion.
So far the exercise only has mentioned a B field !

The direction of the magnetic field is not clear. Merely calling it Bx does not make it a vector in the x-direction. You have to give a unit vector in the appropriate direction. Once that is specified, the magnetic field is in that direction.
The ky in the oscillatory part states that the propagation is in the y direction. Whether it is +y or -y is decided by the answer to BvU's question above. Once that is decided, the direction of the electric field can be given following Maxwell.

I think the OP can safely assume the exercise is about a ##\vec B## field in the x-direction.

Can you get E0 from the intensity?

What is polarized light?

Polarized light is a type of light in which the waves all travel in the same direction, rather than in all directions. This creates a more organized and uniform light wave that has unique properties.

What is the polarized light problem?

The polarized light problem refers to the phenomenon where certain materials, such as reflective surfaces, can alter the polarization of light waves. This can cause issues with visibility and can also affect scientific experiments and measurements.

What causes polarized light?

Polarized light is caused by the alignment of light waves in a single direction. This can occur naturally through processes such as reflection, or it can be artificially created using filters or special materials.

How is polarized light used in science?

Polarized light is used in various scientific fields, including optics, astronomy, and chemistry. It can be used to study the properties of light and its interactions with matter, as well as to create precise measurements and observations.

What are some practical applications of polarized light?

Polarized light has many practical applications, including in sunglasses and 3D glasses, where it helps to reduce glare and enhance visual clarity. It is also used in LCD screens, cameras, and other electronic devices to control the amount and direction of light passing through. In addition, polarized light is used in medical imaging, mineral identification, and even in some industrial processes.