Seeing Polarized Images: A Puzzling Phenomenon

In summary, Xen0 said that a picture can only be seen through a polarized film or when illuminated by polarized light, and that this phenomenon is called holography. He said that this effect is just a 2D picture, and that there are similarities between the pictures. He speculated that the picture might have been handheld or fixed in a table-top frame.
xenogizmo
Hey guys,
I was just wondering, why can some pictures be only seen through a polarizing film, or when illuminated by polarized light? I would really appreciate your answer.
Thx,
Xen0 :biggrin:

Science news on Phys.org
Do you mean 3D movies, where they give you red and blue, polarized goggles?

No, not really..
It's like a picture, if you look at it with the naked eye, you see nothing, but if you shine polarized light on it you see the picture.. What's the explanation of this?

I think you mean holography. I've studied it but don't really understand just exactly how it works. The effect gives an image that seems to occupy real 3-D space. :smile:

hey guys I think I might have said the question in a wrong way or something.. the phenomenon I'm talking about is not 3D.. :frown:
It's just a 2D picture, only difference than any normal picture is that it ONLY appears under polarized light.. Helpful? :confused:

Where did you see this? (I think I can explain it but want to be sure I got all the givens...)

In the chemistry lab, the demonstrator had a black picture, that showed a different picture under normal light and polarized light

Well, I'll admit I have never seen this, but here is what I can say.

Polarization basics:

Chemical polarizers are made of long molecules, like the bars of a jail cell, say along the y-axis. Polarized light on the other hand is made of an E-field (electric field) that oscillates in one direction (y or x) perpendicular to the direction of the light beam (z). (We can practically always ignore the corresponding magnetic field in (x) when speaking of polarization.) Regular light has an oscillating E-field in both (y) and (x).

If y-polarized light hits y-polarized molecule (jail door), it can be totally absorbed, or reflected. The conducting electrons will run along the long molecules and either absorb or reflect the light.

On the other hand, x-polarized light will go through y-polarized molecule, since the conduction electrons can't follow such E-fields.

Regular light will be half transmitted, half absorbed + reflected.

Your system:

I suspect the picture you saw contained such y-oriented long-chained conducting molecules, that formed a picture by themselves, so that y-polarized light was reflected off, and allowed you to see it. With regular light (y + x), the extra reflection by (x) added another picture (perhaps nothing by itself) to produce the illusion of a completely new picture.

Were there similarities between the pictures? (especially in color and black areas?) Were the picture and light sources handheld or fixed together in some table-top frame?

1. What are polarized images?

Polarized images are images that are created by light waves that vibrate in a single plane, known as polarization. This is different from regular light, which vibrates in all directions. Polarized images are created by filtering out certain light waves, resulting in a clearer and more vibrant image.

2. How do polarized images work?

Polarized images work by using a polarizing filter, which only allows light waves that vibrate in a specific direction to pass through. This filter is usually made of a material such as polarizing film or polarizing glass. By blocking out certain light waves, polarized images appear clearer and have reduced glare.

3. Why do polarized images appear differently when viewed from different angles?

When viewed from different angles, polarized images appear differently because the polarizing filter only allows light waves to pass through in a specific direction. When the filter is rotated, it blocks out different light waves, resulting in a change in the appearance of the image.

4. Can polarized images be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, polarized images can be seen with the naked eye. However, they are typically seen through polarized sunglasses or other devices that have a polarizing filter. The naked eye may not be able to detect the subtle differences in polarization without the aid of a filter.

5. How are polarized images used in everyday life?

Polarized images have many practical uses in everyday life. They are commonly used in sunglasses to reduce glare and improve visibility. They are also used in cameras, LCD screens, and other devices to enhance image quality. Additionally, polarized images are used in scientific and medical fields for research and imaging purposes.