Polarized Raman Spectroscopy

• Thread starter Smerdiis
  • Start date
Dear friends
I have a question regarding to polarized Raman spectroscopy. When we are talking about parallel and perpendicular electric field of the laser, is the magic angle 90° or 54.7°?
I'd be grateful if you could answer me as soon as possible.
Best wishes
Kasra

DrDu

Science Advisor
Maybe you can explain this in more detail. I know the term "magic angle" from nuclear resonance, but not from Raman spectroscopy. However, it may be easy to figure out what is meant in that context.

Dear DrDu

The magic-angle in Raman spectroscopy or Linear Dicroism is the difference in the electric field of two different incident light polarizations.

Thanks

DrDu

Science Advisor
A difference of electric fields hardly has the unit of an angle?

oh actually it has
when you linearly polarise the light, you are rotating and adjusting its electric field to a specific angle
This is the base of techniques such as linear dichroism, circular dicroism, polarised Raman spectroscopy and polarised IR spectroscopy.

I've heard the term "magic angle" for NMR, and is around 54°. For Raman a perpendicular angle would be 90°.

I guess so
Thank you very much

Claude Bile

Science Advisor
Dear DrDu

The magic-angle in Raman spectroscopy or Linear Dicroism is the difference in the electric field of two different incident light polarizations.

Thanks
I think Smerdiis meant to say phase difference which would indeed have angular units.

Claude.