Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarized Raman Spectroscopy

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    Dear friends
    I have a question regarding to polarized Raman spectroscopy. When we are talking about parallel and perpendicular electric field of the laser, is the magic angle 90° or 54.7°?
    I'd be grateful if you could answer me as soon as possible.
    Best wishes
    Kasra

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Maybe you can explain this in more detail. I know the term "magic angle" from nuclear resonance, but not from Raman spectroscopy. However, it may be easy to figure out what is meant in that context.

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3
    Dear DrDu

The magic-angle in Raman spectroscopy or Linear Dicroism is the difference in the electric field of two different incident light polarizations.

Thanks

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

A difference of electric fields hardly has the unit of an angle?

6. Feb 22, 2013 #5
    oh actually it has
    when you linearly polarise the light, you are rotating and adjusting its electric field to a specific angle
    This is the base of techniques such as linear dichroism, circular dicroism, polarised Raman spectroscopy and polarised IR spectroscopy.

7. Mar 6, 2013 #6
    I've heard the term "magic angle" for NMR, and is around 54°. For Raman a perpendicular angle would be 90°.

8. Mar 7, 2013 #7
    I guess so
    Thank you very much

9. Mar 15, 2013 #8

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I think Smerdiis meant to say phase difference which would indeed have angular units.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook