Polarized Raman Spectroscopy: Understanding the Magic Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the magic angle in polarized Raman spectroscopy and its relevance to the electric field of incident light. It is also mentioned that this term is also used in other techniques such as linear dichroism and polarized IR spectroscopy. The exact value of the magic angle may vary depending on the context, but it is generally around 54° for Raman spectroscopy and 90° for perpendicular angles. The concept of phase difference is also brought up as a possible alternative explanation for the magic angle.
Smerdiis
Dear friends
I have a question regarding to polarized Raman spectroscopy. When we are talking about parallel and perpendicular electric field of the laser, is the magic angle 90° or 54.7°?
I'd be grateful if you could answer me as soon as possible.
Best wishes
Kasra

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can explain this in more detail. I know the term "magic angle" from nuclear resonance, but not from Raman spectroscopy. However, it may be easy to figure out what is meant in that context.

Dear DrDu

The magic-angle in Raman spectroscopy or Linear Dicroism is the difference in the electric field of two different incident light polarizations.

Thanks

A difference of electric fields hardly has the unit of an angle?

oh actually it has
when you linearly polarise the light, you are rotating and adjusting its electric field to a specific angle
This is the base of techniques such as linear dichroism, circular dicroism, polarised Raman spectroscopy and polarised IR spectroscopy.

I've heard the term "magic angle" for NMR, and is around 54°. For Raman a perpendicular angle would be 90°.

I guess so
Thank you very much

Smerdiis said:
Dear DrDu

The magic-angle in Raman spectroscopy or Linear Dicroism is the difference in the electric field of two different incident light polarizations.

Thanks

I think Smerdiis meant to say phase difference which would indeed have angular units.

Claude.

1. What is Polarized Raman Spectroscopy?

Polarized Raman Spectroscopy is a type of spectroscopy that uses polarized light to measure the vibrational modes of molecules. It is a non-destructive analytical technique that provides information about the molecular structure and composition of a sample.

2. How does Polarized Raman Spectroscopy work?

In Polarized Raman Spectroscopy, a polarized laser beam is directed onto a sample and the scattered light is collected and analyzed. The scattered light contains information about the vibrational modes of the molecules in the sample, which can be used to identify and analyze the sample.

3. What are the advantages of Polarized Raman Spectroscopy?

Polarized Raman Spectroscopy has several advantages, including its non-destructive nature, high sensitivity, and ability to analyze samples in various states (solid, liquid, gas). It also has the ability to provide information about molecular orientation and symmetry.

4. What types of samples can be analyzed using Polarized Raman Spectroscopy?

Polarized Raman Spectroscopy can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and gases. It is commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and biology to analyze molecules, polymers, and other materials.

5. What are the applications of Polarized Raman Spectroscopy?

Polarized Raman Spectroscopy has many applications, including materials characterization, chemical analysis, and biomedical research. It is used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, forensics, and environmental science. It can also be used in quality control and process monitoring in various fields.