1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarized sphere field

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sphere with radius R carries a uniform polarization in the radial direction P = k/r2
    Find the bound charges and calculate the field they produce outside the sphere.

2. Relevant equations
    ρ = -∇[itex]\bullet[/itex]P
    σ = P[itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We find σ = k/r2
    ρ = 0
    So the field they produce is E = kR2/(ε0r2)

But this can't be true! How can a polarization create a field outside the sphere? Something is definitely wrong. Because we also have:
    D = ε0E
    And using a Gaussian surface you find:
    E=0

And I am confident in the last result. There is something disappearing in the above - where have all the charges of opposite sign gone? I believe it has to do with the mathematics behind ∇[itex]\bullet[/itex]k/r2 = 0. For that the pesky delta function is involved in that I believe. If ρ=0 we also find no field inside the sphere. Can that really be true?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Let me check a couple of things: The polarisation is k/r2 in the radial direction, so how is it uniform polarisation? Also, I agree with your answer E = kR2/(ε0r2) due to the bound charges. Why do you think it is wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook