Calculating Field Outside Polarized Sphere: A Dipole Problem

• Thread starter erore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, to calculate the area charge density of a dipole, we can assume it is composed of two point charges and use the electric field of a point dipole to find the electric field on a spherical shell. The area charge density is then given by σ = kq/[l cosθ]2ε, where θ is the angle between the line connecting the two charges and the normal to the shell.
erore
I am having difficulty with calculating field outside of a polarized sphere. It is a field of a dipole. What I get always stuck with is the calculation of the area charge density. I attach a picture. I need the distance of the speres surfaces to calculate the density from the volume charge density. Well I call the distance [tex]\Delta[/tex]R. And in every source I find that [tex]\Delta[/tex]R = cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] * l.
But I have no ideat how to derive this. I tried some ways (the law of cosines for O O' A triangle) and I always got that this is just an approximation. However, none of the sources mention that it is an approximation.
Can someone help?

Attachments

• sphere.JPG
    sphere.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 344
Science news on Phys.org
The easiest way to calculate the area charge density is to start by assuming that the dipole is composed of two point charges, each with charge q, separated by a distance l. The electric field of this point dipole is given by E = kq/r2, where r is the distance from the center of the dipole. Now consider a thin spherical shell centered on the dipole. The electric field on the shell is equal to the electric field of the point dipole at the center of the shell, since the fields of the two charges cancel out. Therefore, the electric field normal to the shell is given by E = kq/R2, where R is the radius of the shell.The area charge density on the shell is then given by σ = E/ε, where ε is the permittivity of the medium. Thus, the area charge density is given by:σ = kq/R2εSince the distance between the two charges is l, the radius of the shell is R = l cosθ, where θ is the angle between the line connecting the two charges and the normal to the shell. This gives us the desired result:σ = kq/[l cosθ]2ε

One possible approach to calculating the field outside of a polarized sphere is to use the method of images. This involves creating a hypothetical image dipole on the opposite side of the polarized sphere, with the same magnitude and opposite direction as the original dipole. This creates a symmetrical situation, allowing for easier calculation of the electric field.

In terms of the area charge density, it is important to note that this is not a constant value throughout the sphere. It varies with distance from the center, and can be calculated using the volume charge density and the distance from the center of the sphere. The distance from the center, \DeltaR, can be determined using the law of cosines, as you mentioned, or by considering the geometry of the problem and using trigonometric relationships.

It is also important to keep in mind that these calculations are based on certain assumptions and approximations, and may not perfectly match experimental results. However, they can provide a good estimate and understanding of the behavior of the electric field outside of a polarized sphere.

If you are still having trouble with the calculations, I suggest consulting with a colleague or seeking additional resources for guidance. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and approach it systematically. Good luck with your research!

1. How do you calculate the electric field outside a polarized sphere?

The electric field outside a polarized sphere can be calculated using the equation E = (1/4π𝜀0) [(3𝜀 − 𝜀m)/(3𝜀 + 2𝜀m)] P cos 𝜃, where 𝜀 is the permittivity of the sphere, 𝜀m is the permittivity of the medium surrounding the sphere, P is the dipole moment of the sphere, and 𝜃 is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field vector.

2. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a system. In the context of a polarized sphere, it represents the strength of the electric dipole created by the polarization of the sphere.

3. How does the permittivity of the medium affect the electric field outside the polarized sphere?

The permittivity of the medium surrounding the polarized sphere affects the electric field outside by changing the strength of the electric field. A higher permittivity of the medium results in a weaker electric field, while a lower permittivity results in a stronger electric field.

4. Can the electric field outside a polarized sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric field outside a polarized sphere can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field vector is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the dipole moment.

5. How is the electric field affected as you move further away from the polarized sphere?

As you move further away from the polarized sphere, the electric field decreases in strength. This is because the influence of the dipole moment becomes weaker with distance, resulting in a smaller electric field. However, the field will never completely disappear as it extends infinitely from the sphere.