Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarizing light

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    what is the use of plane polarizing light?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you mean linearly polarized light? I have never heard of 'plane polarized' light, other than perhaps in the context of s- and p- polarization states.

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Sometimes "plane polarization" is used as a synonym for "linear polarization." See for example

http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PETROLGY/GENLIGHT.HTM [Broken]

As for its uses, you might try a Google search on "polarized light." Usually when people talk about polarized light, they're talking about linear / plane polarization.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Nov 15, 2009 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

3D movies.

6. Nov 15, 2009 #5
    Years ago I looked at a catalogue published by the polaroid corporation(polaroid is /was a trade name and I don't think it's used in polaroid cameras which were made by the same company)and my memory is vague on this but I think there were dozens of uses of polaroid listed.Polarimeters and stress analysis come immediately to mind.

7. Nov 15, 2009 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For some while they have been using clockwise and anticlockwise circular polarisation for left and right stereo channels. Doing it this way avoids the necessity of holding your head perfectly level in order just to see the left channel with left eye and the right channel with the right eye - which is the problem with linear polarisation.

8. Nov 16, 2009 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook