Understanding Malus Law and Polaroid Intensity: Conceptual Doubts

In summary, the conversation is about a conceptual doubt regarding the Malus law for the intensity of light passing through a polaroid. It is clarified that the value of I_o in the equation is generally taken to be the intensity of the light after passing through one polarizer, resulting in a loss of half of the intensity from the unpolarized source. The correctness of the diagram is also confirmed by referencing the Law of Malus entry on the Hyperphysics website.
Suyash Singh

Homework Statement

It is just a conceptual doubt

Homework Equations

According to malus law intensity of light through polaroid is
I=(Io)cos^2(theta) where theta is the angle between axis of polaroid and incident light.

The Attempt at a Solution

But when Theta=0 then I=Io but in my book it is I=Io/2.
why??

and also is my diagram below correct?

--->(light)(I) [](polaroid) --->(I/2) [] --->(I/4) (theta=0 degrees for both polaroid)

Physics news on Phys.org
##I_o## is generally taken to be the intensity of the light after an unpolarized source has passed through one polarizer (hence polarizing it). Half of intensity of the source is lost by the first polarization.

Take a look at the diagram for the Law of Malus entry on the Hyperphysics web site:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polcross.html#c1

Thankyou :)

1. What is the concept of Polaroid in photography?

The concept of Polaroid in photography refers to the instant film and camera system developed by Edwin Land in the 1940s. It allowed users to take a photo and have a developed print in a matter of minutes, eliminating the need for traditional film processing.

2. How does a Polaroid camera work?

A Polaroid camera uses a special film that contains all the necessary chemicals for development within the film itself. When a photo is taken, the film is exposed to light and the chemicals begin to react, creating the image on the film. The film is then pushed through rollers in the camera, spreading the chemicals evenly and producing a developed print within minutes.

3. Is Polaroid photography still relevant in the age of digital cameras?

While digital cameras have become more popular and convenient, there is still a place for Polaroid photography in the modern age. The unique and tangible quality of Polaroid prints, as well as the instant gratification of having a physical photo, makes it a popular choice for artists and photographers. Additionally, newer versions of Polaroid cameras have been released, combining the instant development of Polaroid with digital capabilities.

4. Can Polaroid film be used in any camera?

No, Polaroid film is specifically designed for use in Polaroid cameras. The film size and chemical composition are unique to Polaroid cameras, making it incompatible with other cameras. Additionally, Polaroid film has been discontinued and can be difficult to find, making it even more important to use with the correct camera.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with Polaroid film?

The original Polaroid film contained chemicals that were harmful to the environment and required special disposal methods. However, in recent years, Polaroid has developed new film formulas that are more environmentally friendly. Additionally, there are now companies that offer refurbished and recycled Polaroid cameras and film, further reducing the environmental impact.