1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polaroid filters question please help

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A light source is viewed through 2 polaroid filters, A and B (B is infront of A)

a) describe carefully what is seen when polaroid B is rotated slowly in its own plane through 180 degrees.

b) describe how you would use one of the polaroid filters to determine whether the light from the source is polarised or not.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2
    Hello,

There are some equations you could use that would help you figure this out, but its more of a conceptual question that can be figured out without them.

First, you have to ask yourself what happens when light passes through a polaroid filter-- how is the light on your side of the filter different than the light that entered the filter?

If you have two pair of polarized sunglasses, you should take them outside and see for yourself :-)

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    thanks but sorry ... it doesnt answer my questions lol

5. Dec 4, 2007 #4
    I know it doesn't, I'm not going to do your homework for you. If you want some help here, you're going to have to show some effort. What have you done to try to answer these questions?

You can read a description of polaroid material, and what it does, here:

http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polabs.html#c3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?