Pole Climbing Robot Design: 5m Height, 5 Bricks Load, 30s Wait Time

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for help with a Mechanical Engineering project to design a robot that can climb a standard scaffolding pole to a height of 5m while carrying a load of 5 engineering bricks. The guidelines state that the robot must automatically stop at the top, wait 30 seconds for the bricks to be manually removed, and then reverse to the bottom. The student shares their initial idea of using high friction wheels and asks for feedback and suggestions. Another student suggests looking into rope climbing techniques and calculating friction forces. The student is planning on using either wheels or tracks to climb a galvanized lamp post and asks if they need to calculate friction forces. Another student confirms that friction forces will need to be calculated using the formula
salimshk
Pole Climbing Robot, Please Help!?

Hi, I have been given a project for Mechanical Engineering 1st year. We have been given no ideas and I cannot go to the lecturers for any help and I do not have any previous knowledge even on the basics.

Guidlines are as follows:"Design an robot capable of climbing a standard scaffolding pole to a height of 5m while carrying a
load of 5 standard size engineering bricks. It must automatically stop at a height of 5m, then wait 30
seconds during which the bricks are manually removed before automatically reversing and finally
stopping at the bottom"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial ideas are four very high friction wheels incorporated into a sort of 'ring' that clamps around the scaffolding pole and some sort of tray with a hole to accommodate for the pole which attaches on top of this ring to carry the bricks. I haven't even thought about motors or any electronics as of yet, but how does this idea sound to you guys? Is it possible for the wheels to provide enough friction to withstand the weight of 5 bricks?

Physics news on Phys.org

Something along the lines you have suggested sounds pretty good to me.Here's something else to think about...google rope climbing techniques and perhaps that may give you some ideas.It sounds like an interesting project.Have fun.

Im doing exactly the same thing for my project.
Im lost as to what calculations I need though.
My robot will be climbing a galvanized lamp post and am planning on using either wheels or tracks.
Do I need to calculate friction force seeing as it will be climbing vertically?

poleclimber said:
Im doing exactly the same thing for my project.
Im lost as to what calculations I need though.
My robot will be climbing a galvanized lamp post and am planning on using either wheels or tracks.
Do I need to calculate friction force seeing as it will be climbing vertically?

Yes, you basically need to use F = mu * N.

Thanks Berkeman. Ill see what figures I can come up with.
I will need to find mu for rubber and galvanised steel to get F.

1. How does a pole climbing robot work?

A pole climbing robot works by using specialized sensors and motors to grip onto a pole and move upwards. It typically has a caterpillar-like design with multiple legs for stability. The sensors help the robot detect its environment and adjust its movements accordingly.

2. What is the purpose of a pole climbing robot?

A pole climbing robot is designed to perform tasks in hard-to-reach places such as power lines, antennas, and tall buildings. It eliminates the need for humans to climb these structures and can be used for maintenance, inspection, and repairs.

3. How does a pole climbing robot maintain its stability?

A pole climbing robot maintains its stability through its design and control system. The legs are strategically placed to evenly distribute weight and the sensors help it adjust its movements to maintain balance. Some pole climbing robots also have suction cups or magnetic feet for added stability.

4. What are the advantages of using a pole climbing robot?

There are several advantages of using a pole climbing robot, including increased safety for workers, reduced time and cost for maintenance and inspections, and the ability to access hard-to-reach places. It also allows for more accurate and efficient data collection compared to manual methods.

5. Are there any limitations to pole climbing robots?

While pole climbing robots have many benefits, there are also some limitations. They may not be suitable for all types of poles or structures, and weather conditions can affect their performance. They also require regular maintenance and may not be as precise as human workers in certain tasks.