Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pole Flip

1. Aug 17, 2004 #1

What are all the bad things that would happen if/when the geomagnetic field will reverse polarity? I already have, increased mutations, electronics are extreamly uneconomical, and all the solar wind, CMEs and plasma from the sun hitting earth.

What happens to the sun when its poles flip about every 11 years?

How many feet of lead or concrete would be needed to sheild a type of electronic?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2004 #2

I'm writing a paper, what kind of effect would this have on gyroscopes? If any... Would LASER gyroscopes still work? Please no compass comments
  4. Aug 17, 2004 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Laser gyroscopes would most definately still work.

5. Aug 17, 2004 #4
    Can you please elaborate on the effects you already got?
    What exactly leads to increased mutations and uneconomical electronics?

And are you saying that coronal mass ejections and plasma would actually hit the earth's surface or just hit the upper atmosphere?
  6. Aug 17, 2004 #5
    As discussed in this thread, electronics will not be affected directly by the change in direction of the magnetic field. If you picture the earth's magnetic field, it runs almost parallel to the earth's surface except at the earth's magnetic poles where it goes into the surface. Now, say that at this moment, you are sitting at your desk facing the geomagnetic north. If the poles flip, it would be equivalent to you turning round 180 degrees and facing the geomagnetic south. And doing this experiment with any electronic equipment with certainly not alter its behaviour.

The only way that electronics could possibly be affected is if the pole flip somehow lets through some radiation to the earth's surface. But this should not happen if the pole flips because incoming radiation will still be deflected as the magnetic field is still there. It might be a different matter if we completely lose the earth's magnetic field.
  7. Aug 17, 2004 #6
  8. Aug 18, 2004 #7

9. Aug 18, 2004 #8
    Well if the plasma particles are accelerating, they most certainly will emit electromagnetic radiation.

But the earth's field deflects this radiation away:

"At Earth, however, a strong magnetic field confronts the solar wind, forming a much bigger obstacle than the Earth itself. Because the solar wind is a plasma, it is forced to detour around the Earth's field, creating a large shielded cavity around the Earth--the magnetosphere."

So, whether the pole shifts or not, the magnetic field will still be there to defelct it.

You might find these of interest:

This article claims that pole shifts are due to continental drift.

And here is a whole load of FAQ about the earth and magnetism, that I'm sure will be of help. Unfortunately I haven't got the time to read through all this at the moment but if you do find anything interesting, please post back.
  10. Aug 18, 2004 #9

Science Advisor

Some of the leading work being done on the phenominon is by Dr Dan Lathrop, on whose work I try to stay updated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?