1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pole zero plot

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    I am attempting the question shown in the attachment.

It can be seen that the poles are located at -2 ± 3j which expressed in terms of s is (s + 2)2 + 32.

This is the denominator, but how is the numerator of the transfer function found?

Edit:

Looking at the Laplace look-up table I would want the numerator to be 3 giving:

3/((s + 2)2 + 32) so that i could use e-atcosωt to perform the reverse Laplace transform in part b.

Is this correct?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are no zeros in your plot, ergo there is no numerator other than a constant. The constant cannot be determined from the plot (unless it's contained in those funny numbers within the white part of the plot. I have never seen a plot like that before.) You can assume it's 3 but any other real constant is OK also. That should be obvious since L-1{cF(s)} → cf(t), c a constant.

My table says L-1{1/[(s+a)2 + b2]} → (1/b)e-atsin(bt).

4. Jan 8, 2013 #3
    Yes you are correct, I have misread the table and copied the entry from the line above.

5. Jan 8, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

BTW you could also have done the inversion by partial fraction expansion, if you're comfy with manipulating complex numbers just a reminder probably ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook