Understanding Poles & Filters: Counting Capacitors & dB/decade

In summary, the number of bypass capacitors in a circuit does not necessarily determine the number of poles. This method is not always accurate as capacitors can also create zeros in a filter. Additionally, the low pass filter capacitor in the op amp should not be counted as a bypass capacitor. The rule of thumb for determining roll off based on the number of poles only applies if there are no zeros present in the circuit.
Physixs
Hello, I was reading over poles and filters, but I guess since I don't learn calculus, I don't learn transforms.

With that said, the definition of Poles in my text is a bit iffy... It talks about how the term poles means how many bypass capacitors are in a circuit.

I can't find ANY definitions even remotely close to that online.

However, if I google image filters, I can physically count capacitors to find out how many poles the filter is.

Can I always do that? Can I always look at a circuit, count the capacitors and know how many poles there are in that circuit? Is that legit?

For instance in the picture I provided, since I can see six bypass capacitors, does that mean it is a six-pole filter (I know the answer but wasnt sure if the method was ok)

Also, do you just ignore the low pass filter capacitor that is in the op amp itself (because it is not a bypass capacitor)?

Also, would it be safe to say that as a rule of thumb if you have 2 poles, your roll off will be double (-40dB/decade) and if you have 3 poles it will be triple (-60 dB/decade)?

Thanks so much

Attachments

• F_3_9.gif
    F_3_9.gif
    11 KB · Views: 619
Engineering news on Phys.org
No you can't just "count capacitors" to determine how many poles there are. You can count "time constants" but that is a more advanced technique. Also what you show in the figure are not "bypass capacitors" they are in the signal path. A bypass capacitor is a capacitor connected between power and ground that shunts high-frequency noise from the supply to the ground (ideally the power supply is a small-signal ground so you want power and ground to be shorted at all frequencies above DC).

The main problem in "counting capacitors" is that sometimes a capacitor doesn't make a pole (which make the filter more low-pass) but sometimes it makes a zero (which makes a filter more high-pass).

In your circuit it is a coincidence that there are six capacitors. (as you said there are additional caps in the op amps for stability). In some very basic circuits (such as a series of RC stages) you can count capacitors but not always.

Lastly it is only "safe to say" that two poles --> -40dB/decade and so on if you don't have any zeros in your circuit. You can say if you have two more poles than zeros in your circuit there will be some point where the magnitude response is rolling off at -40dB/decade but where that region is depends on the locations of your poles and zeros.

Likes 1 person

1. What are poles and filters in the context of electrical circuits?

Poles and filters are concepts used in electrical engineering to describe how a circuit responds to different frequencies of input signals. A pole is a point at which the response of a circuit changes significantly, and a filter is a circuit component that modifies the amplitude or phase of a specific frequency range of the input signal.

2. How do poles and filters affect the behavior of a circuit?

Poles and filters can affect the behavior of a circuit in different ways. They can amplify or attenuate certain frequencies, shift the phase of the input signal, or even completely block certain frequencies. Understanding the behavior of poles and filters is crucial in designing and analyzing circuits.

3. What is the relationship between capacitors and poles in a circuit?

Capacitors are one of the most commonly used components in designing filters. They can act as poles in a circuit, affecting the phase and amplitude of the input signal. The number and arrangement of capacitors in a circuit can determine the type and order of the filter.

4. What is the significance of counting capacitors in understanding poles and filters?

Counting capacitors in a circuit can help determine the number of poles and the type of filter present. Each capacitor can contribute to the overall behavior of the circuit, so understanding their role is important in analyzing the circuit's response to different frequencies.

5. How is the concept of dB/decade related to poles and filters?

dB/decade is a unit used to measure the rate at which a filter's response changes with frequency. It is related to poles and filters because a pole in a circuit can cause a change in the filter's response at a specific rate, which can be measured in dB/decade. This can help in understanding the filter's behavior and designing circuits with specific frequency responses.