Poles of AC Induction Motors

In summary, to determine the number of poles in a motor, you can use formulas or look at the motor's nameplate.
BlackMelon
Hello,

I want to know determining the number of poles by inspecting coils inside the motor. Generally, there are formulas allowing us to plug a frequency, an rpm, and give off the number of poles, or we can just simply look at its nameplate.

My reason for needing the inspecting is that my brother fixes burnt AC induction motors. As it was burnt by overloading or whatsoever already, he can not find the number of poles by operating it. Luckily, there are nameplates.

One vulnerable point is in the case that a customer brings his/her burnt motor with a burnt nameplate.(The windings are burnt, but it still can be observed its winding physical details like in the attached file) In this case,"How could I determine the number of poles by tracking stator coil connections?"

I try to google this many times but what I've found are using the formulas mentioned above and looking at the nameplate. Also, what I've found is that a 4 poles induction motor does not always have 4 coils in one phase but it has to take care of how coils are connected ,and the site does not tell any further.

the site:
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/comments/1xgsee/how_many_poles_are_there_in_a_threephase_motor/
Thank you

Attachments

• Motor Rewind.JPG
    Motor Rewind.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To a degree, re-winding a burnt up motor is a bit like building a new motor. You need to ask what speed is required for the re-built motor along with line frequency. Then figure the required number of poles from there.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Suppose that I've got a required frequency and speed giving number of poles by using formulas. For examples, I've got 4 poles in one phase. Will there be only 4 coils in one phase producing 4 poles? (What I've learned from another site is that we have to take those coils' connection into account, but it didn't tell anything further, so I am not confident to trust it)

Last edited:

1. What are poles in an AC induction motor?

Poles in an AC induction motor refer to the number of electromagnetic poles present in the stator of the motor. These poles are created by the winding of the stator, which produces a magnetic field that interacts with the rotor to generate motion.

2. How do poles affect the speed of an AC induction motor?

The number of poles in an AC induction motor determines its synchronous speed, which is the rotational speed at which the motor produces its maximum torque. The higher the number of poles, the lower the synchronous speed, and vice versa.

3. Can the number of poles be changed in an AC induction motor?

The number of poles in an AC induction motor is fixed and cannot be changed once the motor is manufactured. However, the speed of the motor can be altered by using external devices such as variable frequency drives.

4. What is the significance of pole pairs in an AC induction motor?

Pole pairs refer to the number of electromagnetic poles divided by two. Each pole pair represents one complete cycle of polarity change in the stator, which is necessary for the motor to rotate. For example, a 4-pole motor has 2 pole pairs, while an 8-pole motor has 4 pole pairs.

5. How do I determine the number of poles in an AC induction motor?

The number of poles in an AC induction motor can be determined by counting the number of magnetic poles on the stator. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the synchronous speed of the motor by 120 times the frequency of the power supply.