Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poles of the propagator

1. Jul 7, 2012 #1
    Hi!
    From "Le Bellac, Quantum and statistical field theory, 10.5.2-Massive vector field":
    "The longitudinal part of the propagator [itex]k_{\mu}D^{\mu\nu}[/itex] has no pole at
    [itex]k^2=m^2[/itex], so the longitudinal part doesn't constitute a dynamical degree of freedom."

I have two questions:
    1) Why the propagator doesn't represent a dynamical degree of freedom if it hasn't any pole?
    How do you demonstrate that physical particles correspond to the pole of the propagator?

2) The propagator [itex]D^{\mu\nu}[/itex] is a rank-2 tensor. The longitudinal part is [itex]k_{\mu}D^{\mu\nu}[/itex] and it is a vector, so, how can it be a propagator?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The components of the vector field satisfy the Klein-Gordan equation

$$(-\partial_\nu \partial^\nu + m^2) A_\mu =0.$$

By Lorentz-invariance, the mass appearing there must be the same for all components. The momentum-space propagator is the Fourier transform of the 2-point function ##\langle A_\mu(x)A_\nu(y)\rangle##. Because of the KG equation above, all physical components (and linear combinations of them) of the propagator must either have a pole at ##m^2## or vanish.

The longitudinal part is a linear combination of propagators, or equivalently, the propagator for a linear combination of components of ##A_\mu##. Since there is no pole, the corresponding combination of vector fields, ## k^\mu A_\mu## cannot satisfy a non-trivial KG equation. So it cannot be a physical degree of freedom.

4. Jul 8, 2012 #3
    Also you can study the spectral representation by Kallen-Lehmann (for example in Bjorken-Drell book). It is an exact result (not a perturbative one) and it shows that any Green function have always a pole at the physical mass of the particle.

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4
    I've read the Kallen-Lehmann representation and I've understood why the propagator has poles. However I don't fully understand fzero's answer. I don't understand this passage

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook