Why does a pole with increasing phase start at -180°?

In summary: However, for \omega \ll 1 the gain is undefined (since it approaches infinity), and for \omega \gg 1 the phase shift is also undefined (since it approaches -180° for any finite input).
jegues

Homework Statement

Understanding the bode plot for,

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{2s-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Usually when I am drawing bode plots for either real poles or zeros, I simply solve for the break frequency knowing that a zero/pole will give me a +/-20dB/decade asymptote after the break frequency on my magnitude plot, and a +/-90° phase shift across two decades, with the center (i.e. the +/-45° point) at my break frequency on my phase plot.

This has always worked when I have,

[tex](s+a) \quad a>0[/tex]

but it seems to change when,

[tex](s - a) \quad a>0 \quad \text{or, } \quad (-s+a) \quad a>0[/tex]

I can't wrap my head around why a pole has an increasing phase that starts at -180°. I was expecting a phase decrease from 0° to -90°.

Can someone explain what I am misunderstanding?

Attachments

• BodeQ.jpg
    BodeQ.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did solve the bode plot correctly.

When a pole is in the right half plane (greater than zero) the phase will increase during the pole.
It is important to note that this means the system is unstable.

There is no such thoing as a Bode plot for poles in the right-hand plane.

Zeros, OK.

rude man said:
There is no such thoing as a Bode plot for poles in the right-hand plane.
A Bode plot is usually just defined as a magnitude and phase plot of [itex]H(s)\rvert_{s = j\omega}[/itex] versus [itex]\omega[/itex], where [itex]H(s)[/itex] is the transfer function of the system. So strictly speaking, regardless of the implications of having poles in the right-half plane, the Bode plot for the system is still well-defined.

jegues said:
I can't wrap my head around why a pole has an increasing phase that starts at -180°. I was expecting a phase decrease from 0° to -90°.
I'm not sure why you would expect that. When in doubt, go back to basics:
[tex]
\left. H(s) \right|_{s = j\omega} = \left. \frac{1}{2s - 1} \right|_{s = j\omega} = \frac{1}{2j\omega - 1} = \frac{1}{-1 + j2\omega} \Rightarrow\\
\arg(H(j\omega)) = \arg\left(\frac{1}{-1 + j2\omega}\right) = \arg(1) - \arg(-1 + j2\omega) = 0 - (\arctan(-2\omega) + \pi) = -\arctan(-2\omega) - \pi
[/tex]
Try evaluating that for [itex]\omega \ll 1[/itex] and [itex]\omega \gg 1[/itex].

milesyoung said:
A Bode plot is usually just defined as a magnitude and phase plot of [itex]H(s)\rvert_{s = j\omega}[/itex] versus [itex]\omega[/itex], where [itex]H(s)[/itex] is the transfer function of the system. So strictly speaking, regardless of the implications of having poles in the right-half plane, the Bode plot for the system is still well-defined.

No. The gain is undefined. The output approaches infinity for any finite input. So a "magnitude" of gain does not exist, neither does a "phase".

rude man said:
No. The gain is undefined. The output approaches infinity for any finite input. So a "magnitude" of gain does not exist, neither does a "phase".
It's true that the Bode plot for an unstable system does not give you information about its steady-state gain and phase shift (since it has no steady state to speak of), but that doesn't mean the Bode plot itself is undefined, which, if you read my post carefully, was what I was commenting on.

[itex]H(s)\rvert_{s = j\omega}[/itex] evaluates fine for [itex]0 < \omega < \infty[/itex], be it for a stable or unstable [itex]H(s)[/itex].

1. What are poles with increasing phase?

Poles with increasing phase refer to the behavior of a system in which the poles of the transfer function move towards the right half of the complex plane as the frequency increases. This can lead to instability in the system.

2. How do poles with increasing phase affect the stability of a system?

Poles with increasing phase can cause instability in a system because as the frequency increases, the poles move towards the right half of the complex plane where the real part is positive. This means that the system can become unstable and oscillate uncontrollably.

3. What causes poles with increasing phase?

Poles with increasing phase can be caused by a variety of factors, such as improper tuning of a feedback control system, inadequate damping in a mechanical system, or the presence of a resonance frequency in the system.

4. How can poles with increasing phase be mitigated?

To mitigate poles with increasing phase, proper tuning of the feedback control system is crucial. This can involve adjusting the controller gains or using different control strategies. Additionally, adding damping to the system can help stabilize it. In some cases, redesigning the system may be necessary.

5. What are the consequences of ignoring poles with increasing phase?

Ignoring poles with increasing phase can lead to unstable and unpredictable behavior in a system. This can result in damage to equipment, loss of control, and potential safety hazards. It is important to identify and address poles with increasing phase in order to maintain stability and reliability in a system.