1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Police Question .

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    Police Question.....

Question:

A speeder passes a parked police car at 30.0 m/s. The police car starts from rest with a uniform acceleration of 2.44 m/s^2.

a) How much time passes before the speeder is overtaken my the police car? Ans: 24.6 s

b) How far does the speeder get before being overtaken by the police car?
    Ans: 738 m

My Questions/Work:

To the best of my knowledge, we know the following.....

Cop Vi: 0.0 m/s
    Cop Accel: 2.44 m/s2
    Spdr V: 30 m/s

a) Formula: Vf = Vi + AT ????

What should I use as the Cop's Final Velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2

J77

I presume you were given those answers...

From the formula you give [tex]v=u+at[/tex], you need to integrate to get one for distance [tex]s=ut+at^2/2[/tex].

You can then equate this formula using the data for both cars - it will be a quadratic with 2 solutions - one for the time when the cars are together at t=0 and the other for the time when they catch up.

When you've got this time, the distance is easily found using the formula again.

I haven't done this since school - it was a struggle remembering the method :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?