Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Police State of the USA/The loss of civil liberties at home

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    "Utah Ravers Treated Like Terrorists"

Police raided a legal event without a warrant and teargassed people who didnt deserve it. There is video and pictures for proof as well. ACLU is involved, and lawsuits are being filed against the city. Hilariously, security guards hired by promoters were tasked with confiscating illegal substances from partygoers, and were subsequently charged with possession by the county Sheriff.

Update - Here is the story as reported by the Tribune:

In the story the Sheriff's office goes so far as to deny SWAT officers used profanity in "conversing with the partygoers" even though it is clearly visible and audible in the video :grumpy:

Edit - Link to the video (which depicts the opening moments of the raid before the camera man is tackled -- reportedly his friend snatched the camera from the ground and ran off with it, the police were trying to stop any footage of the raid from coming out):

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2
    Is this what Bush means when he says "Freedom is on the march"?
  4. Aug 23, 2005 #3
    Completely unrelated but still BS:

Pittsburgh police taser an already restrained protester.

"Police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin initially said no pepper spray was used on protesters, but Sgt. Clint Winkler, a supervisor on duty, told The Associated Press he tried to use pepper spray on one woman who would not leave, but it hit her glasses. She was then subdued with a Taser, Winkler said."
  5. Aug 23, 2005 #4
    i thougth that US had a law prohibiting the military engaging the civilian population.

This kind of stuff don't even happen here in argentina, America is becoming a dictatorship..
  6. Aug 23, 2005 #5
    It did seem a bit extreme with the force but Utah is a really weird {mormon}state with laws. I can imagine that a few people will get some money from that.
    I guess next time they will pull the right permits{mass gathering over 250}, and inform the local police well in advance, who should of been patrolling the roads.
    They have big legal raves here sometimes, and the cops bust lots of people with drugs and underage drinking, but if ALL the permits/laws are in order, they let the party go on. They also have cops standing by the gates to haul off people with drugs and minors with liqueur. A security guard can not take possession of drugs, and only a idiot guard would. They don't have the authority.
    Most state laws say that if you suspect laws{drugs} are being broken, or if minors are involved, you don't need a warrant to enter.
  7. Aug 23, 2005 #6
    Yes well, the problem is SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) is a Police Organization, not military. Although it might as well be.
  8. Aug 23, 2005 #7

Staff: Mentor

There are no permits for drug use though. The police raided a rave where there was a lot of drug use and underage alcohol consumption going on. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
    A carefully edited video showing the end of a struggle. "Restrained" means she's got handcuffs on - from the video it is clear that she does not.

I love Michael Moore.
  9. Aug 23, 2005 #8
    So, how many of the fourteen defining characteristics of fascism do we now cover? Twelve? Thirteen?
  10. Aug 23, 2005 #9

LOL Yeah, point assault rifles at peaceful civilians , tear gas some kids while they're walking out of a rave and beat the **** out of teenage girls. Oh, and try to make sure no video gets out. PERFECTLY REASONABLE.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005
  11. Aug 23, 2005 #10
    The police better start raiding every pre-concert tailgate. I've actually seen police in riot gear break up a tailgate. The big difference was that there was 10,000 kids there just to party 2 hours after the show started. Nonetheless, the fiasco ended with an innocent bystander losing an eye to a rubber bullet. It's ok to see the extreme nature of these things.
  12. Aug 23, 2005 #11
    Police have every right to raid a party, even if it is only for disturbing the peace.

I have a much bigger problem the the number of links I am finding that are similar to the one below. Both FBI and homeland security waste their time collecting data on war protestors. Your name and picture may already be on file.

For that matter they even monitor forums like this one.
    All we lack are the brown shirts.

13. Aug 23, 2005 #12
  14. Aug 23, 2005 #13
    As Hypatia has already pointed out the reason this most likely was handled the way it was is because we're talking about Salt Lake City Utah. The Mormons influence the laws and police there extensively and always have. It has nothing to do with the person currently in the presidencial office.

To give you an idea of what Salt Lake City is like...
    You can not purchase or possess cigarettes unless you are 19 even though federal law states 18. I think there are other places with similar laws.
    You can not drink, smoke, or drink caffiene even with in a certain radius of the temple.
    It is illegal to even sell caffinated beverages within a certain radius of the temple.
    In a very funny turn since the Mormon Church has bought stock in Pepsico it is ok for them to drink Pepsi even though it has caffeine in it. A friend of mine told me that the last time she was there Pepsi was the only cola you could find in a resteraunt.
    At any rate the point is that they have very strict laws there.

Next, whether it's true or not I'm not sure, but they apparently did not have all teh proper documents necessary for their party. They need a permit from both the land owner and the public office. Their party also apparently began to spill over off the private property onto public land.
  15. Aug 24, 2005 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's strange if it is to reduce terrorism. After all, terrorists are in favor of the Iraqi war. It's their main business line!
  16. Aug 24, 2005 #15
    Bush is calling this a victory in the war on terror-ble music.

WTF is the cop in the background doing right of centre at 01:08?
  17. Aug 24, 2005 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

A bit of a provocative title given that this raid was conducted on the county level and had nothing to do with the federal government, don't you think, Max? Notably, the video somewhat fails to corroborate the account given on Daily Kos. The cops have guns, but they aren't pointing them at anyone nor are they threatening to shoot anybody. They don't seem to be using any form of gas, nor do they even have masks. The "documented profanity" consists of an officer telling a guy to turn the music off or "I'll take your ass to jail," which he actually said in a surprisingly calm manner, given that the DJ didn't listen to him the first five times he was told to turn the music off. The continued assertion that the party was "100% legal" doesn't seem to be accurate either, as the SLT piece says that the promoter had one of the permits he needed, but was missing another.

That said, I have to admit that this looked pretty scary. I wish the video was clearer on certain things, though. It's hard to tell in the pan to the girl they have down whether they were attacking her or trying to get a dog off of her, or neither. The video definitely doesn't show any clear evidence of brutality or police misconduct, though. It just shows them being really fast and efficient at clearing everyone out. If all they have are eyewitness allegations, good luck to them proving they had any rights violated.

My advice to the promoters, musical acts, and partygoers is to not rave in Utah. Raves are held all the time in the desert and in warehouses all over Southern California and they all seem to end rather peacefully.
  18. Aug 24, 2005 #17
    One of these days I'm going to go to a Burning Man festival..... one day....
  19. Aug 24, 2005 #18
    As someone who despises the populist losers who make up our current administration, I feel that the content found in the opening post here does nothing to help and almost certainly hurts any argument against them.

Is there any way I can be anti-Bush without being associated with 98% of people who use the term?
  20. Aug 24, 2005 #19
    Oh quit trying so hard to be different.
  21. Aug 24, 2005 #20
    Because it is disingenious at best and deceptive at worst. There is no evidence in the OP that civil liberties were violated or that there is a police state as of this time. Loseyourname addressed these points and no one has made any argument otherwise; nor do I expect there to be any.

If spamming poorly thought out links with deceptive titles and disinformative posts is normal (and in this forum it seems to be), then yes, I would like to be different.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?