Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polish notation

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This thread follows on from : https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ot-worthy-of-maths-forum.880724/#post-5534559 .

Anybody ever used Polish notation or reverse Polish notation for computational formulae ? Use of either is supposed to eliminate ambiguity and make the flow of computations logical .

I only ask out of curiosity . The very expensive HP programmable calculator we had at Mtu during the late 1970's had reverse Polish notation input . That is the only real world use I have ever come across .

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2
    I still have the HP 11C I bought in college in 1982. It still works great, and you gotta love RPN.

4. Aug 2, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

RPN is a tool of trade of the serious number crunching scientist. I'm sure there would be plenty of apps featuring a RPN calculator for whatever tablet you own. The RPN calculator keypad doesn't need an equals sign nor parentheses, i.e., "(" and ")".

To evaluate 6 × (7 - 2 ÷ 3) + 5 you would typically enter the keystrokes in this order:
    6 7 2 3 ÷ - × 5 +

Maybe you can see why this is also known as post-fix notation?

If you have access to linux, you'll find that the utility known as "dc" is a commandline RPN calculator. (It is also of unlimited precision, meaning you can set it to give you an answer to thousands of sig figs.)

5. Aug 2, 2016 #4

NTW

You can still find the HP35s, and another model, I don't remember the name now, for financial calculations.
    Besides, and for nostalgics, you have the 'SwissMicros': https://www.swissmicros.com/
    To my knowledge, there are no other brands of RPN calculators. Well, perhaps in Russia... In Soviet times, there used to be a few models...

6. Aug 2, 2016 #5

fresh_42

I think TI calculators used it, too, as far as I remember. And it's useful to know, when it comes to pushdown automatons.

7. Aug 2, 2016 #6

berkeman

8. Aug 3, 2016 #7

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I still own an HP 49-G that uses RPN. I never use it anymore, though, since I have Mathematica on my laptop

9. Aug 4, 2016 #8
    Before I bought my first HP11C in 1982, I used TI calculators. They were not RPN. Maybe they changed over the years.

10. Aug 4, 2016 #9
    That would be the HP 12C, I had one of those too when I was in the MBA program.

11. Aug 5, 2016 #10

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  12. Aug 5, 2016 #11
  13. Aug 5, 2016 #12

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Aug 9, 2016 #13

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Begin off-topic

Casio and Sharp had basic-programmable calculators.

End off-topic

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted