Polishing 200mm f6 Mirrors | Middle TN Advice

• Thread starter montoyas7940
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the speaker is working on creating a pair of matched 200mm f6 primary mirrors using Texereau as a guide. They have finished fine grinding and are now looking for a mentor in middle Tennessee to offer advice on polishing. They mention being interested in a 200mm Newtonian bino and looking for a larger telescope. They are advised to reach out to amateur astronomy groups in their area, specifically the Middle Tennessee Astronomical Society (MTSU) and the Memphis Astronomical Society. The speaker expresses gratitude for the advice and mentions finding outdated information on the MTSU website. They are provided with updated contact information for the group.
montoyas7940
I have been working on making a pair of matched 200mm f6 primary mirrors. I have been using Texereau as a guide. I think I have finished fine grinding. I would like to find someone near middle Tennessee to look at my work and offer advice, especially as I begin polishing.
Any Ideas?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Are you making a 200 mm Newtonian bino?

Exactly! I am still looking for a mentor on the polishing, however.

I never could decide between planetary and rich-field so that's why f6. Of course I would like something bigger, but you know how it is...

You'd have a good chance finding somebody who can help in an amateur astronomy group in your area. They are very likely to have members who have made their own telescopes and possibly who have ground mirrors before. Try attending one of their group meetings or star parties, and ask around with the people there.

A quick google search on:
> tennessee amateur astronomy

came up with the following 2 groups

Middle Tennessee Astronomical Society (MTSU / Memphis area)
http://tnsky.com/mtas/

Memphis Astronomical Society (probably not close to you)
http://www.memphisastro.org/

If these are not located near you then you might call them anyway, they might know of a group closer to where you live.

Good luck!

Thanks, the tnsky website looks promising.

I checked that site again, and now realize it is 4 years out of date! Hope they are still an active group, even if they're not updating their website.

Found this contact info for the group:
http://www.go-astronomy.com/astronomy-club.php?ID=318

p.s. I should have said MTSU / Nashville area before, but you probably figured that out.

1. How do I determine the quality of my polished 200mm f6 mirror?

The quality of a polished mirror is determined by its surface smoothness and accuracy. A smooth mirror will have a reflective surface with minimal scratches or imperfections. The accuracy of the mirror refers to its ability to reflect light to a single point, known as the focal point. This can be tested by using a star test or a Foucault test.

2. What is the recommended method for polishing a 200mm f6 mirror?

The recommended method for polishing a 200mm f6 mirror is the traditional method of using a series of abrasives, starting with coarse grit and gradually moving to finer grits. This is followed by a final polishing using a pitch lap and polishing compound. It is important to follow a strict and consistent process to achieve the desired surface smoothness and accuracy.

3. Can I use a machine to polish my 200mm f6 mirror?

Yes, using a machine for polishing can save time and effort, but it may also require additional skills and experience to operate effectively. A machine can also produce a different surface finish compared to hand-polishing, so it is important to understand the capabilities and limitations of the machine before use.

4. How long does it take to polish a 200mm f6 mirror?

The time it takes to polish a 200mm f6 mirror can vary depending on the method used, the skill of the polisher, and the desired final quality. On average, it can take several hours to a few days to complete the polishing process. It is important to be patient and take the necessary time to achieve the best results.

5. What type of environment is best for polishing a 200mm f6 mirror?

The ideal environment for polishing a 200mm f6 mirror is a clean and dust-free area with stable temperatures and humidity. A room with good ventilation and minimal air movement is also preferred to avoid any contamination on the mirror's surface. It is also recommended to work in an area with good lighting to accurately observe the polishing process.