Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Political double-talk

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Post your favorite cheesy political dodge or misrepresentation. Please provide supporting information when needed to validate the post.

I was sort of liking Huckabee but he loses me completely with this sort of nonsense:

[From the YouTube debate]
    http://deathpenaltyusa.blogspot.com/2007/11/mike-huckabees-death-penalty-dodge.html

When effectively being asked if he is a hypocrite - a completely valid question IMO - jokes don't work for me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    Great link Gokul.

For this election........................hard to say as only history gives us the perspective and the chance to put things into the height of legend.

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would have to be:
    It is in Starr's report somewhere but I found it here (because it was easier).

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

It seems like he was avoiding a strawman more than anything else. Asking what Jesus would do is not a simple question, and the intended result is to confuse the politician or make him state that he doesn't know the answer. In Matthew 8:28-34, Jesus removes demons from two people and puts them into pigs, and the pigs run into a lake and die. That kind of behavior is so eratic that it's unrealistic for anybody to think they know what Jesus would do.

In any event, the actual meaning of doublespeak is when the meaning of something is disguised by the wording. For example, things like "estate tax" are worded as such because the word estate often makes people think of rich people. It conveniently hides the fact that it applies to everyone. Or using the term "detainee" instead of "prisoner of war", and "special" instead of "mentally retarded". Mute people were once called "dumb". One I hear a lot on the news is "misappropriation of funds" rather than "this politician stole a bunch of tax money".

7. Dec 5, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you say so.

The reason that the question was asked is that there is a very definite answer expected by many people; esp coming from a minister. The problem is that he knows he can't appease these people and the conservative [pro-death penalty] Republican base. The fact that he equivocates about the sanctity of life and the Christian view of this is all that it took for me.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  8. Dec 5, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=23407&dict=CALD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?