Who Deserves the Political Guru Award for Peace?

• News
  • Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the faux guru award for the political forum and who deserves it. There was a discussion about someone who excels in using facts and logical arguments in debates and whether this person should receive the award. However, it was also mentioned that the Nobel Peace Prize is for peace and not for politics, and should be given to those who have made significant contributions towards peace. The conversation also mentioned a few past recipients of this award.
gravenewworld
Who should get the faux guru award for the political forum? Who is the one person that you do NOT want to tangle with because you will end up getting schooled in the end with facts and logical argument?

Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
Who should get the faux guru award for the political forum? Who is the one person that you do NOT want to tangle with because you will end up getting schooled in the end with facts and logical argument?
We have someone like that here? :confused:

Evo said:
We have someone like that here? :confused:
jimmysnyder

I'm sorry I come off that way. I will try to soften up in the future. Anyway, I get schooled with the facts and with logic pretty often too. When it happens, I disengage.

jimmysnyder said:
I'm sorry I come off that way. I will try to soften up in the future. Anyway, I get schooled with the facts and with logic pretty often too. When it happens, I disengage.
Jimmy, my comment was a commendation. Actually, it probably doesn't look to good. I didn't mean to infer that one schools others in use of facts and logic.

I was thinking more in the frame of using/applying facts and logic (which is the proper means of disputation), rather than schooling opponents in fact and logic.

disputation -
1 : the action of disputing : verbal controversy <continuous disputation between them> <ideological disputations>
2 : an academic exercise in oral defense of a thesis by formal logic

I would be pleased to retract my vote.

It's no biggie, but I don't want the reputation of being "the one person that you do NOT want to tangle with" for any reason. Probably I could do more at my end to alleviate this problem.

The Nobel Prize is for peace, not for politics. The award should not be "who you don't want to argue with because you're scared of arguing them" but "who has the best solutions and recommendations given a particular issue".

Can anyone remember the last Nobel prize given for actual peace?

2005?

EDIT: I don't know if you're just selectively trying to "remember" controversial Nobel Peace Prizes, though I don't blame you because those the only ones that make it to the media headlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:
Can anyone remember the last Nobel prize given for actual peace?

Back to '78 Sadat/Begin before getting some real peace prizes.
'76 Williams/Corrigan - N. Ireland
'64 M. L. King
'53 Marshall

Couple of the groups are worthy but I favor individuals.

1. What is the "Political Guru Award"?

The "Political Guru Award" is an award given to an individual who has demonstrated exceptional knowledge, insight, and influence in the realm of politics.

2. Who decides the recipient of the "Political Guru Award"?

The recipient of the "Political Guru Award" is typically chosen by a committee of experts in the field of politics, such as political analysts, journalists, and academics.

3. What criteria are used to select the recipient of the "Political Guru Award"?

The criteria for the "Political Guru Award" may vary depending on the organization or group giving out the award, but it typically includes factors such as the individual's impact on political discourse, their expertise in a specific political issue, and their ability to inspire and influence others.

4. How often is the "Political Guru Award" given out?

The frequency of the "Political Guru Award" may vary, but it is typically given out annually or biennially.

5. Can anyone be nominated for the "Political Guru Award"?

Yes, anyone can be nominated for the "Political Guru Award", as long as they meet the criteria set by the organization or group giving out the award.