Politician probablity help

• Thread starter rdn98
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of each state being represented in a committee of 50 politicians chosen at random from a group of 100 senators. The suggested solution involves calculating the probability of selecting a senator from each state and multiplying it by 100C50. However, the speaker is unsure about the logic behind this solution. Another approach is to consider the total number of ways of choosing one senator from each state, which is 250, out of the 100C50 possible events. This gives a probability of 250/100C50, which may not match the speaker's result.
rdn98
A committee of 50 politicians is to be chosen from among our 100 senators. If the selection is done at random, what is the probability that each state will be represented?

My friend tried to help me out, and this is what he came up with.

Since there are 2 senators from each state, you got to figure out the proablity of that into the calcuations. Figure out the proability of picking a senator from each state, add them together, then multiply it by 100C50.

100C50 * sum [2/(100-i)]
where i goes from 0 to 49

the summation part is the probablity of the senators being picked from each state

When I do the math, I get a huge answer, and I can't have the probabilty bigger than one. So I did 100C50 divided by the huge answer, and I get .7265 which could be correct.

Frankly, I don't understand the logic to solving this problem. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that one must fill fifty slots with 2 choices each. The total probability as you realize is 100C50. The answer I can get from the use of a downloaded calculator: http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pub/pari/manuals/users.pdf Or use Sterling's Formula, which simplifies somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 100C50 ways of choosing 50 people from a group of 100. The set of all possible "events" has 100C50 members.
A "success" in this problem would be having exactly one senator from each state.
How many ways are there of choosing exactly one senator from each state? Well, there are there are 2 ways of choosing a senator from Maine, 2 ways of choosing a senator from Vermont,2 ways of choosing a senator from New Hampshire, etc. That is, a total of 250 ways of choosing one of the two senators from each of the 50 states. Since 250 of of the 100C50 events are "successes", the probability of a success is 250/100C50 . I don't think that comes out anywhere near your answer.

1. What is "Politician probability help"?

Politician probability help is a scientific approach to assessing the likelihood of a politician's success in a certain position or election. It involves analyzing various factors such as past performance, public opinion, and current political climate to determine the probability of a politician's success.

2. How is the probability of a politician's success calculated?

The probability of a politician's success is calculated by using statistical methods and data analysis. This includes looking at the politician's past track record, their popularity among voters, and the current political climate. The more data and information that is available, the more accurate the calculation will be.

3. Can politician probability help predict election outcomes?

While politician probability help can provide insight into the potential success of a politician, it cannot guarantee or predict election outcomes. There are many variables and factors at play in an election, and it is impossible to accurately predict the outcome with 100% certainty. However, politician probability help can be a useful tool in assessing a politician's chances of success.

4. How can politician probability help be used in decision making?

Politician probability help can be used in decision making by providing a more data-driven and objective approach to assessing a politician's potential success. It can also help identify areas where a politician may need to improve or focus on in order to increase their probability of success. However, it should not be the sole factor in decision making and should be used in conjunction with other factors.

5. Is politician probability help a reliable tool?

While politician probability help can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that it is not a perfect or infallible tool. The accuracy of the calculation depends on the availability and accuracy of data, and there is always a margin of error. Additionally, it cannot account for unexpected events or changes in the political landscape. Therefore, it should be used as a guide rather than a definitive answer.