Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poll: Baghdad Residents Glad Saddam Gone

1. Sep 26, 2003 #1

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ_POLL?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=HOME

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2003 #2

drag

Science Advisor

And that's in Baghdad - the capital where many people
    felt a bit better than in most other places about
    Saddam's regime. It'a good to know that more people
    are free now, I hope they overcome theor current
    material hardships quickly.

Live long and prosper.

4. Sep 26, 2003 #3
    Well, so what? It isn't as though they are happy about things...and as America continues to fail, those numbers will change.

5. Sep 26, 2003 #4

drag

Science Advisor

Well, maybe hypnagogue just mentioned it as a fact
    by itself - a worthy fact in it's own right without
    implying anything he hides behind his back or
    applying it as part of some conspiracy theory that
    some really bored people with no real problems love
    making up. Those people had and have real problems
    and they're happy because something real - a serious
    change happened in their lives, something that really
    matters to them, unlike a disturbing picture in a newspaper
    or something which seems to concern other people by
    its incompatibility to their morning cofee and daughnut. :wink:

Live long and prosper.

6. Sep 26, 2003 #5
    Drag, do you ever post on topic?

Anyhoio, Iraqis are in many ways worse off than they were under Saddam Hussein. They are certainly not more free.

7. Sep 26, 2003 #6

drag

Science Advisor

Hmm... looking at all those polls, I have to ask -
    did you forget to update them on what you want their
    opinions to be ? :wink:

8. Sep 26, 2003 #7

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting how you are more qualified to assess the situation than the actual Iraqi people who had to live under Hussein's rule.

9. Sep 26, 2003 #8
    Looking at all these polls, you get the feeling that people are optimistic, but not happy. They hope for the best, but they are currently getting the worst. I think the prevailing attitude is 'Thanks for getting rid of Saddam, now go home."

10. Sep 26, 2003 #9

FZ+

Hmm... Didn't Hussein get a 100% support vote before? Funny how we select which polls to trust...

Also, this poll is out of date. US support is gradually falling, and Bush is failing to address the situation with the required seriousness.

11. Sep 26, 2003 #10

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only makes sense that citizens living beneath a corrupt dictator would fear expressing dissent. That is precisely the kind of principle that dictatorships run on.

12. Sep 26, 2003 #11
    Sounds like someone alot closer to home than Saddam Hussein.

13. Sep 27, 2003 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are two polls here: one measuring optomism, one pessimism.

The first measures optomism - it will get better. The second measures pessimism - it isn't better now.

Since the middle of a war is about as bad as it gets, a poll like this is better at measuring PESSIMISM, not optomism because virtually anything right before a war is better than right after a war. And when your life is in the crapper, its tough to consider what is beyond your next meal, much less what is five years ahead of you.

That said, it is pretty extrordinary that the Iraqi people show more optomism than pessimism. Maybe thats a testament to Saddam's rule and our action to remove him.
    You aren't serious, are you? Are you saying you actually BELIEVE that 100% of a population could like anyone? FZ+, I KNOW you are better than that in assessing credibility.
    And you base that on what? The number of people we have executed for political reasons? Zero, sometimes I wonder if you think the sky is green.

14. Sep 27, 2003 #13
    Well, freedom is relative, isn't it? The Iraqi people are free from Saddam, but noit free from U.S. troops gunning them down in teh stret for no reason. They used to be free from lack of water, food, and medicine, but we screwed that right up for them. Hell, they used to have jobs and communities!

And, I'm curious to see what sort of freedom will exist under the new government...what, no new government? You mean no one planned for the future of Iraq after securing the oil? Big surprise there...

15. Sep 27, 2003 #14

drag

Science Advisor

Sure, they shoot'em by the dozens every morning for excercise
    just like Israeli soldiers go around looking for Palestinians
    to shoot when they're bored. Oh... who's that at the door ?
    A flower delivery from Bin-Laden ?

16. Sep 27, 2003 #15
    Unlike you, I see reality, and not just accept the lies from the White House. If you paid attention, you would know that U.S. troops are raiding the houses of innocents, shooting police, etc.

17. Sep 27, 2003 #16

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The very fact that you are expressing your dissent on this forum contradicts your premise.

18. Sep 27, 2003 #17

drag

Science Advisor

Hmm... No offense, really, but I think you should seek help man.

19. Sep 27, 2003 #18
    Give it a few years...this administration already wants the power to read our emails, know what library books we check out...And this is off topic

20. Sep 27, 2003 #19

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks right now like the current administration won't be around long enough to do any of that. Your concerns are legitimate, I'm just not so sure that they're so easily polarized into bad republicans and good democrats.

21. Sep 27, 2003 #20

FZ+

And you seriously believe that a poll carried out in a city where even the basic communications is down, where the streets are patroled by occupying troops (more so than any other city in Iraq), conducted by employees from the coalition, with Baathist supporters hounded into hiding, based on people who were "eager to talk" is so much more representative?

I am saying that reservations should be place on such polls, especially as the situation there is so unstable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?