Poll: Best invention ever and why?

In summary, the best invention ever is the transistor which has helped to make electronics and computers possible.
chesterdaly

I'm going to start over on my science project and hope to get some ideas. And please don't ask what it was before because it was really really bad.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
chesterdaly said:

I'm going to start over on my science project and hope to get some ideas. And please don't ask what it was before because it was really really bad.

I like the mindisk. Not as expensive as a Ipod, but you can record lots of stuff onto it. Without it, trying to listen to james galway CDs would be a serious pain in the :uhh:

My vote would go to Watt's steam engine and the Voltaic Cell. Without either of them, the western civilization could not have been built.

PCR. Simple yet completely opened the floodgates for molecular biology in the past couple of decades.

Well if we are restricted to inventions and not discoveries(like discovery of bacteria's role in infection and antibiotics, etc.) I would have to say Gutenberg's printing press. Before it, information was very expensive to disseminate. It was a direct contributor to the Renaissance and the birth of the

I would also say that the transistor by Bardeen, Brattain & Shockley comes a close second. Without it, cheap electronics and computers would not be possible.

sid_galt said:
My vote would go to Watt's steam engine and the Voltaic Cell. Without either of them, the western civilization could not have been built.
I might agree about the steam engine, but instead of the voltaic cell, I'd choose the AC generator. Without it, there would be no long-distance transmission of electrical power.

pack_rat2 said:
I might agree about the steam engine, but instead of the voltaic cell, I'd choose the AC generator. Without it, there would be no long-distance transmission of electrical power.
Although the printing press is probably the undisputed greatest creation ever, a presentation on AC power would be fantastic. Instead of being the 10th student to make another boring presentation on a printing press, you would be the guy telling the tale of my hero Nikola Tesla.

Here are some other fantastic things to consider:
Transistors
Transistors can open or close circuits depending on other electrical circuits. Transistors allow for complicated logic programming, and they efficiently replaced vacuum tubes. Basically all electronics you own including your computer, TV, and radio rely very heavily on the functionality of transistors.
It might be hard to present this since it's a bit difficult to understand... for me at least.

Bessemer Converter
The Bessemer Converter changed everything because it meant steel could be created quickly, efficiently, and by unskilled workers. Before the bessemer converter, buildings were always shorter than 5 stories high because they had to be made of materials like brick which are incredibly heavy and weak compared to steel.

Nuclear Bomb
It began the new era of nuclear technology. Nuclear fission powerplants currently provide a considerable percentage of the world's power. USA is about 20% nuclear, france is about 80% nuclear, the entire world is about 16% nuclear. During the Cold War, newer bombs worked on fusion rather than fission. http://www.pppl.gov/projects/pages/tftr.html have been constructed to use fusion and have so far been successful. If this fusion thing goes mainstream, we'll have unlimited power essentially forever :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is considered the "best invention ever"?

The best invention ever is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions and beliefs. However, some commonly mentioned inventions include the wheel, electricity, the internet, and antibiotics.

2. How is the "best invention ever" determined?

The determination of the "best invention ever" can be based on various factors such as impact on society, innovation, and overall usefulness. It can also be determined through surveys, polls, and expert opinions.

3. Why is the wheel often considered the best invention ever?

The wheel is often considered the best invention ever because it revolutionized transportation and allowed for the development of other inventions such as cars and trains. It also made tasks like farming and carrying heavy loads much easier.

4. What makes electricity a top contender for the best invention ever?

Electricity is considered a top contender for the best invention ever because it powers almost every aspect of modern life. It allows for lighting, heating, communication, and countless other technologies to exist and improve our daily lives.

5. How has the internet impacted society and why is it a strong candidate for the best invention ever?

The internet has had a huge impact on society, connecting people from all over the world and providing access to endless information and resources. It has revolutionized communication, commerce, and entertainment. Its widespread use and influence make it a strong candidate for the best invention ever.