Presidential Election 2008 Poll Data Disappeared: Is It a Bug?

• Bug
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, there was a discussion about the poll data disappearing in the "Presidential election 2008" thread. It was discovered that the poll had been re-opened and the old data was saved for reference. Some users expressed frustration that their previous votes were not cleared and they were unable to vote again. A new thread was created with an updated poll to reflect the impact of Sarah Palin's addition to the election.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just noticed that the poll data has disappeared in the "Presidential election 2008 " thread. Is this a bug?

Physics news on Phys.org
The poll has been re-opened. I saved the old data here.

Nice to know that no one reads my posts. :tongue:

Evo said:
I am going to re-open the poll in this thread and get an update for the current feelings on the election since Palin was added to the fray.

The original poll results are

Obama by over 15 Electoral Votes 15 51.72%
Obama by under 15 Electoral Votes 6 20.69%
McCain by over 15 Electoral Votes 4 13.79%
McCain by under 15 Electoral Votes 4 13.79%

I would like to ask that ONLY Americans that will be voting in November to respond in the poll.

I will poll again after the first Presidential debate.

Ooops :redface: !

But it's not letting me vote again...says I already voted.

lisab said:
Ooops :redface: !

But it's not letting me vote again...says I already voted.
There seem to be some issues. Let me check, if I can't get the new poll to work, I will put the old results back and start a new poll thread.

Edit: Lisab are you still unable to vote? It seems some people can vote, I wonder if it's blocking the previous voters?

No, it still says that I voted already. I did vote in the first one, btw.

Evo said:
Edit: Lisab are you still unable to vote? It seems some people can vote, I wonder if it's blocking the previous voters?

Yeah, it's blocking all previous voters. Polls are weird, that even if you delete all the entries, it won't let you truly start over. I checked, and I also get told I've already voted as well.

I think it would make better sense to restore the old one and close the voting, and start a new thread with a current poll with the same options for people to change their minds now that the VP picks are available. It would be kind of interesting to see if the two polls differ a lot.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, it's blocking all previous voters. Polls are weird, that even if you delete all the entries, it won't let you truly start over. I checked, and I also get told I've already voted as well.

I think it would make better sense to restore the old one and close the voting, and start a new thread with a current poll with the same options for people to change their minds now that the VP picks are available. It would be kind of interesting to see if the two polls differ a lot.
I had originally planned to delete the poll and replace it, but the option has disappeared, (Greg is checking on it). Since I tried a refresh I was hoping that it would clear the previous voter info, but no such luck. In the meantime, I am going to put the old poll info back and start another thread.

1. What is the significance of the disappearance of 2008 Presidential Election poll data?

The disappearance of 2008 Presidential Election poll data could have serious implications for understanding and analyzing the election results. This data is important for tracking trends and patterns in voter behavior and demographics, and its absence could hinder our understanding of the election and its outcome.

2. Is it possible that the disappearance of the data is due to a technical error or bug?

Yes, it is possible that the data disappeared due to a technical error or bug. There are various factors that could contribute to this, such as server issues, software glitches, or human error. It is important for the data to be thoroughly investigated to determine the cause of its disappearance.

3. How can the missing data be retrieved?

The missing data can potentially be retrieved through various methods, such as restoring backups or accessing it from a different source. However, this process may take time and resources, and there is no guarantee that all the data can be recovered.

4. What impact could the missing data have on the accuracy of election analysis?

The missing data could significantly impact the accuracy of election analysis. Without a complete set of data, it may be difficult to accurately analyze voting patterns and trends, and make informed conclusions about the election results. This could also affect the credibility of any findings or claims made based on incomplete data.

5. What steps can be taken to prevent similar incidents in future elections?

To prevent similar incidents in future elections, it is important to have proper data management protocols in place. This includes regular backups, secure storage, and thorough testing of any software or systems used to collect and analyze election data. It is also crucial to have a contingency plan in case of any technical issues or data loss.