Poll Feedback: Changing Threads for Polls

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, there is a suggestion to change the order of 'poll' threads so that the poll comes after the associated opening thread. The poll question is often too terse and people may answer without reading the explanation, which could change their response. However, there are concerns about the effort required to make this change and whether it would be worth it. There has been a previous poll that showed a high percentage of respondents lie on polls and the validity of statistics in forum poll threads is questioned.

What do you think of poll placement?

• It is a good idea.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It is a dumb idea.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DaveC426913
Gold Member
How difficult would it be to change a 'poll' thread so that the actual 'poll' comes after the associated opening thread?

It seems that the opening thread would be required reading before viewing the poll - the poll question itself is way too terse to provide appropriate context; I suspect there are a lot of cases where people take the poll, then read the explanation, which may well alter their answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's a good idea though considering the trouble that it may take to make the change I'm not sure if it would really be worth the effort. I have no idea how much effort it would take but I'm assuming it may take quite a bit.

What exactly am I voting for?

Is this for/against your proposition or for/against the current placement?

Does anyone take our polls seriously enough for it to matter? I should have saved a link to the poll that showed about 30% of respondents here lie on our polls (they selected the option that stated they never vote in polls).

70% of all statistics in forum poll threads are made up on the spot, anyway.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Poll Feedback: Changing Threads for Polls"?

"Poll Feedback: Changing Threads for Polls" refers to the process of altering the threads or topics of polls in order to gather more accurate and relevant feedback from participants.

Why is changing threads for polls important?

Changing threads for polls is important because it allows for more targeted and specific feedback from participants. By tailoring the threads to the specific topic or question being asked, the feedback received will be more meaningful and useful.

How do you determine the best threads for a poll?

The best threads for a poll should be determined based on the specific goal or objective of the poll. Consider the main topic or question being asked and choose threads that will elicit the most relevant and valuable feedback from participants.

What are some common mistakes when choosing threads for polls?

One common mistake when choosing threads for polls is using vague or overly broad topics. This can result in unfocused and unhelpful feedback. Another mistake is not considering the target audience and their perspective when selecting threads, which can lead to biased or irrelevant feedback.

How can changing threads for polls improve the quality of feedback?

Changing threads for polls can improve the quality of feedback by ensuring that the threads are aligned with the specific topic or question being asked. This will result in more targeted and relevant responses from participants, leading to more accurate and useful feedback.