Prostate Exam Poll: Same Sex or Opp Sex?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary: I never thought about that but I would choose a member of the same sex with big hands. In summary, the conversation is about choosing a doctor for a prostate exam and the options are a doctor of the same sex with big hands or a doctor of the opposite sex with little hands. Although some people prefer one doctor and one finger, others suggest going to a male doctor for a better understanding of the sensations. However, one person suggests choosing a female doctor with big hands for a more enjoyable experience.
tribdog
I'm getting to that age where I have to get a prostate exam. would you rather have a member of the same sex but with big hands or a member of the opposite sex with little hands as a doctor?

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
I'm getting to that age where I have to get a prostate exam. would you rather have a member of the same sex but with big hands or a member of the opposite sex with little hands as a doctor?
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I don't care.

So long as both hands aren't on my shoulders...

jimmysnyder said:
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I don't care.

Hmm...most people prefer just one doctor and one finger. :tongue:

tribdog said:

Trust me. Once you get the Cytoscope, nothing will ever again embarass you.

Go to a man. It is as difficult for a woman to understand the sensations in a prostate as it is for a man to understand the discomfort of a mammogram. His largest finger will be smaller than a typical stool.

If you're at that age, get a PSA and ask for the American Urology Association (think I got the name right) self-assessment questionnaire.

Go for a female doctor with big hands. You only live once!

Moonbear said:
Hmm...most people prefer just one doctor and one finger. :tongue:

That's funny!

What is a prostate exam?

A prostate exam is a medical procedure in which a healthcare provider checks the health of the prostate gland, which is located between the bladder and the penis in males. This is typically done by inserting a gloved, lubricated finger into the rectum to feel for any abnormalities in the size, shape, or texture of the prostate gland.

Why is a prostate exam important?

A prostate exam is important because it can help detect early signs of prostate cancer, which is the most common cancer in men. It can also help diagnose other prostate-related issues, such as an enlarged prostate or prostatitis.

What is the difference between a same sex and opposite sex prostate exam?

The only difference between a same sex and opposite sex prostate exam is the gender of the healthcare provider performing the exam. The procedure and purpose of the exam are the same regardless of the provider's gender.

Is a same sex prostate exam more comfortable for LGBTQ+ individuals?

For some LGBTQ+ individuals, a same sex prostate exam may be more comfortable due to issues of trust and vulnerability. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's personal comfort level and preference.

At what age should men start getting prostate exams?

The American Cancer Society recommends that men discuss the need for a prostate exam with their healthcare provider starting at age 50 for those with an average risk of prostate cancer. Men at a higher risk, such as those with a family history of prostate cancer, may need to start screening earlier.