Poll: Nick name for school or not?

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll School
In summary, Peter is a more casual, easygoing name than Peter. Some people find it nerdy, but others think it's a good choice for the university. Some people have trouble pronouncing Abe, so they stick with Peter. There are two syllables to consider, rather than one. And lastly, Peter Levy is a famous BBC journalist.

which name?

• Peter

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Pete

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Physics is Phun
Poll: NEW name for school or not?

Hi all, I am off to university in the fall. My name is Peter, but I was thinking about going by Pete once school starts up. I am trying to move away from the nerdy aura that currently surrounds me, and I think Pete would be a more casual easy going guy than Peter.
What does everone think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am trying to move away from the nerdy aura that currently surrounds me..

Why are you enrolling at the university, then?

Hope everything turns out well, Peter.

I think he means something like re-making his social life.

... I voted Peter.. Pete sounds like crap.

There's nothing wrong with Pete, of course, but you shouldn't think your reputation as a "nerd" will haunt you at the university.
That's only an epithet dumb-asses place on people smarter than themselves.

I think you will enjoy yourself at the university.

"Pete" isn't much different to "Peter" -- a letter and a syllable. It's a common name, so I don't see any great difference in connotations with the variation.

I find that nicknames tend to be chosen by your social group more than by yourself. Some years ago, my name (Abhishek) was contracted to "Abe" by a bunch of fellows who were too lazy to pronounce it right. It stuck, even though I didn't like it. And it's proving hard to unstick it. :grumpy:

Don't worry about your name. It's fine. :cool:

What's wrong with abe??
Would you have liked to be called abbish?

Yeah nicknames do not matter much, and you rarely get to pick one.

I would say if you want a cool name, you should call yourself P, or P Dawg, or something like that :rofl:

Ok, that title was a bit off... This would be more of an actual name than a nick name. It would be who I introduce myself as. Pete or Peter ?

arildno said:
What's wrong with abe??
Would you have liked to be called abbish?
Oh boy, don't even think about going down that road. They've already done "abbish", often pronounced in the fashion of an air-brake system engaging. Another popular mutation is "arrrb", said either like a pirate, or a revving engine. They can be combined too: "arrrbishh". Oh yes, it's all been tried. :rolleyes:

The conventional abbreviation of Abhishek is simply "Abhi". "Abe" didn't feel right, too generic. The "a" in Abe is pronounced like in "day", the New Zealand accent's version of which is unnatural for me. I don't introduce myself with it. And it took me a long time to learn to respond to it. :uhh:

Physics is Phun said:
Ok, that title was a bit off... This would be more of an actual name than a nick name. It would be who I introduce myself as. Pete or Peter ?

Introduce yourself as Peter o:). Reserve Pete :devil: for special people. :wink:

I like Peter, it just sounds more comfortable.

Does it really matter?

I'm James, but I get called any of the following: Jimbo, Jimmy, Jim Lad, Jimster, Jimbobags, and Jimbo Baggins.

One guy used to call me James Jimbo Jo-Jo the Dog-faced Well-ard Metal-mouth Boy Smiff. That was fun.

Pete is easier to say. And peter makes u sounds like peter pan, which ain't a good thing for a grown man.

ya. this is a tough decision to make! I could affect my entire future. I think it's going to come down to a compromise with Peter when being professional, and Pete when hangin' with my friends and wit da ladies. I don't know of any Cool peters but I think a Pete could pull it off!

Physics is Phun said:
I don't know of any Cool peters

Then you're not aware of Peter Levy, BBC Look North regional news correspondant!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/looknorthhull/images/peterlevy_big.jpg [Broken]

Have you ever seen such a cool Peter?

Last edited by a moderator:
heh, i have the same problem... my name's abigale, i usually go by abby, but i got bored of that, so i tried going by abigale, and then gale, and then i tried my middle name, marie, and then i tried, A.marie, then i made up a new middle name, Foure, and then my friends started making fun of me... so they started calling me 'bigale, or just messing up the letters in my name trying to find me something better. course though, most people just call me abby unless I'm adament that its something else.

i say peter. if its what you know, stick with it. sides, two syllables are better than one. leaves more creativity when people are calling your name. "Pete- errrrrr" or "Pete AH!" or "Peeeeeeeee dur" see, you'll much much cooler when people can be creative with your name...

pete.. "hey pete... peat... pite..." ya, no good.

No point in worrying about it. The other guys in your dorm will assign you the required nickname, and it won't in any way resemble your real name. :biggrin:

I think it could go good or bad either way.
"The devil you know is better than the devil you don't." ;-p

1. Should schools have a designated nickname?

This is a highly debated question. Some argue that having a nickname can bring a sense of unity and pride among students, while others believe it can create division and stereotypes.

2. What are the benefits of having a school nickname?

Having a school nickname can promote school spirit, create a sense of belonging, and serve as a form of identity for students. It can also be used for sports teams and other school events.

3. How can a school decide on a nickname?

There are various ways a school can decide on a nickname. They can hold a student vote, have a committee select options, or take suggestions from the community. It's important to involve all stakeholders in the decision-making process.

4. Are there any drawbacks to having a school nickname?

Some potential drawbacks to having a school nickname include the possibility of negative connotations, the cost of rebranding, and the potential for division among students. It's important to carefully consider all factors before deciding on a nickname.

5. Can a school change its nickname?

Yes, a school can change its nickname, but it may require a significant amount of effort and resources. It's important to carefully consider the reasons for changing the nickname and involve all stakeholders in the decision-making process.