Poll: What utensil is proper to eat macaroni and cheese?

What is the proper utensil for which to eat macaroni and cheese (colloquially called Mac & Cheese)?

• Fork

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Spoon

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Spork

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Hunting knife

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Fingers

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other (chopsticks, etc.)

• P2M ("Plate-to-mouth" -- cut out the middle man)

• Total voters
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The only mac n cheese I can eat is the Kraft box with the cheese powder, anything else is too thick and makes me vomit.
One could add margarine and/or milk to the Mac & Cheese if it becomes too thick.

One can also sprinkle Parmesan or other cheese (grated, e.g., Provalone, Gouda, Havarti, Manchego, Sirene, . . . .) according to preference on top.

Spoon, I need to shovel it into my mouth quickly
Ditto

Likes Silicon Waffle
nsaspook
Science Advisor
I see one vote for other. Chopsticks?

OmCheeto
Gold Member
A little late but maybe next time you can use this.

Make a roux (butter+flour), this is prone to burning so whisk constantly.
Add milk part by part. keep whisking.

You can manage the thickness by adding more or less milk (if you don't like milk, chicken stock works equally well perhaps even better).
When it's quite runny, add cheese and let it melt. This will thicken the sauce which is why I suggest making the sauce runny (bechamel sauce).
Season with pepper, salt and perhaps some nutmeg.
Ok, I tried that. Quite a lot of work for something that's not much better than what takes 3 minutes out of a box.
But, I only ate half.
The other half, I mixed my other go-to ingredient: a can of chili

10 stars!

I may simply not have let the mac-n-cheese "rest" for the appropriate amount of time, for my first plate.

ps. And as always, I complicated the recipe with all manner of freakish overkill: 3 types of flour, 3 types of cheese, greek yogurt, chili and garlic powder, and no nutmeg.
pps. Still ate both helpings with a fork, even though helping #2 was more like soup.
ppps. Evo and I are definitely related, as both the hybrid batch on Wednesday, and today's batch, gave me an upset stomach. I haven't barfed though. Perhaps 3rd cousins.

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Some news just in:

UConn mac and cheese incident spawns fundraisers

http://news.yahoo.com/uconn-mac-cheese-incident-spawns-fundraisers-182300689.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes OmCheeto
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
More Mac-n-Cheese news:

Kraft Mac & Cheese just got duller.
For many Americans, the color of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese is the color of childhood. Nothing triggers nostalgia like the sight of a steaming plate of sticky pasta, as unnaturally orange as a nuclear dawn.

Almost 80 years after its invention, however, Kraft Mac & Cheese is about to change. Under pressure from “healthier” competitors and a controversial food blogger, the company says it is stripping all artificial preservatives and synthetic colors from its most iconic item.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-duller-you-can-thank-or-blame-the-food-babe/

[Edit: Actually I just realized that this article is dated back in April. I suppose it's not recent news after all.]